The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Struck by lightning!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  greenlight 
#1 ·
Yes it's true and I was in it at a campsite! 98 grand caravan. Now no gauges or interior lights and the wipers started going and van was off! I was told the body control module needs replaced but may not cure all problems. I used it as work van and was broke so I drove it that way for another 7 or 8 thousand miles(not sure, no gauges). It still runs great and I would drive anywhere if it could pass PA inspection. A junk yard offered me $75.00 if I drove it there,, can't print my response! HaHa! Anyone need a good transmission?

#2 ·
Junkyards in general are a scam. Especially ones that are connected to towing companies, and thus get most of their inventory for free. It is ridiculous how they will offer a couple hundred for a car in good physical condition, then each door sells for $500+, the hood sells for $500+, etc.
It is much better to look on Craigslist for a private person parting out their unwanted (or un-titleable) car for fair prices. I got several parts that way, and paid less for all of them together than what a junkyard would have charged for one.

#3 ·
What items are inspected that would fail? In NC, only safety equipment is inspected. I assume it's time for inspection/new tags is why you are considering parking it. Do wipers work? horn? brake lights? turn signals? Concentrate on only those items needed for inspection first. For example, run new wire to wiper motor and put it on a toggle if that's what it takes.... it just has to work... don't have to be pretty LOL

Vanna is my work van. She has some "creative" features and some duct tape and bailing wire but she gets the jobs done and that's what I love about her. (Rose is our Prima Donna ;-)

#4 ·
#5 ·
BCM is an easy task IF you don't have the VTSS (alarm system).

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected for 24 hours?

(and no I didn't get hit by lightning despite my avatar)

- G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.