The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

is it my fuel pump

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  georgec 
#1 ·
96 voyager rallye with 185k and today i beleive the fuel pump went south all she does is turn over i have checked the usual and i decided to unbolt the fuel rail (3.3) and with a partner turning the key seen no fuel coming from the injectors. i then proceeded to the rear to listen for the pump and nothing. i read about the auto shutdown relay but im not sure if this is what has caused the van to stop running and ive never had any real issues but im pretty sure the pump may have failed and really need everyones advice thanks everyone.:jpshakehe

#2 ·
You unbolted the fuel rail?!?! That seems pretty labour intensive for diagnostics. I usually just put a key or screwdriver in the pressure relief valve. Anyway, I would check the auto shut off first. It essentially kills the power to the fuel pump when tripped. You just have to find it and reset it. I'm not sure where it is located or how to reset it on this model. On my ol' ranger it was on the passanger side firewall and reseting it involved pressing a button. Pretty straight foreward. Good luck.

#3 ·
Yes, there are other things that can prevent fuel from coming from the injectors than just the pump.

When you first turn the ignition on, you should hear the pump run for about 1/3 second. If it does not, then you need to check 1) is the fuel pump fuse OK? 2) is fuel pump relay working? and 3) is fuel pump relay receiving the 1/3 second input (on initial ignition-on) to tell it to turn on and prime? If the fuse is blown, find out why before just keeping on replacing fuses. And definitely do NOT just jumper that fuse!

The injectors can fail to pulse also because of other things like the ASD circuit or a failure of the cam/crank position sensor(s).

- G

#5 ·
If the ASD has gone bad, it will set MIL code 42. The light will not flash, but the code will still be stored.

Unfortunately, this is one of those faults which doesn't set a 'P' code to tell you which one of 6 possible faults it could be, but it does store the code in hex format so a diagnostic reader with a hex function will be able to pinpoint it for you.

You have a choice from -

An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit. (hex 0A)
An Open condition Detected In The ASD Relay Output Circuit. (hex 2C)
An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit. (hex 65)
Open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. (hex 95)
Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. (hex 96)
No movement of fuel level sender detected. (hex 97)

Happy hex-ing !

#6 ·
hmm i dont have a diagnostic reader and ive never had to retrieve codes from the van. (sigh)this is going to be a long week and i really wish i knew what set this stupid thing off. all i know is i dont have the initial fuel pump whirring sound and everything i have been reading leads me to think its in this asd circuit.

#7 · (Edited)
Have you jumpered contacts 30 & 87 at the fuel pump relay to see if the pump will power up manually? No need to turn the key on. If the pump doesn't turn on, inspect the wiring and connections to the pump before changing it. If it comes alive, look elsewhere for the problem.

> 10 amp fuse #13 in the PDC (next to battery) powers the relay switch output. A 9 amp PTC on the junction block (under dash) powers the relay coil.

> The ASD deactivates the fuel pump via the pump relay only if the PCM does not detect engine rotation. If the pump runs when jumpered, I would inspect the crankshaft position sensor connection and harness and consider changing it.

#8 ·
hmm i dont have a diagnostic reader and ive never had to retrieve codes from the van. (sigh)this is going to be a long week and i really wish i knew what set this stupid thing off. all i know is i dont have the initial fuel pump whirring sound and everything i have been reading leads me to think its in this asd circuit.i did check to see if there were 12 volts going to the pump and there isnt so i also imagine that theres no spark but its late. im not sure how you read the codes on these vans but there is a sequence of codes blinking when i turn the van on. although when this all happened my check engine light never came on etc and am not even sure how this all happened i know when it first stalled out it would start but die a few seconds later (ran poorly) uh hmm tmy assistant of course tryed to push down on the gas pedal to see if that would work and thats where i think the mistake was made because after that point it would just turn over(sigh). at this point i know it will start on starting fluid so i have spark/no fuel fuses are all good but im not sure how to check for bad relays and the only 2 i suspect is the fuel pump and asd relay. i did read that there was a way to cheat the asd circuit to check the fuel pump but it was very vaque in its wording. btw rip i will try the jumper and see what happens do i just use a paperclip?
:ask_wsign

#9 ·
If it starts using starting fluid you have a fuel issue and not an ASD issue. Concentrate on the pump. Try jumpering the relay as I descibed. Yes a paperclip works. The contact numbers are on the bottom of most relays. One old trick is to smack the fuel tank with a mallet or the like to bring a stuck pump back to life.

To check for codes either head to Autozone where they will connect a scanner and read the codes for free or try the key dance. What's that? Turn the key from off to on (not start) three times then leave it on. Now count the flashes of the service engine soon light. All codes have two digits. For example a code 21 will be flash, flash, pause, flash. Multiple codes are divided by a longer pause. Should finish with a code 55.

#10 ·
yes sir lol i hear a clicking going on with one of the relays that may be normal but im going to drop the tank today and inspect the fuel filter and pump after i do the mallet trick its still a bummer that there doesnt seem to be power to the pump i just used my light tester and nothing ill keep posting thank you.

#15 ·
bud, you are geting me confused:
it is simple realy;
here you go step by step:
1) van wont start, check fuel presure relief ( valve stem ) key off, nope, key on, nope
2) can you hear the pump? nope
3) fuse, nope, 12v to the fuze?
4) relay, 12v to relay? jump it
5) power to pump, then if you get good clean power to pump it is the pump, I take that back pluged filter could cause it, rare but posible, you dont want to change a $ 300 part when all you need is a $5 relay or less fuse or contacts, very common.
last but not least check the inertia swich, that should have beeen the first thing actualy, if it poped, reset it, otherwise check for power at the terminals. comming in? going out?
once I got stranded in a tempo fuel pump but not realy it was the relay which ford used to like to incorporate it into a relay control module $100 not only that you can not jump it or swap it with a similar you can do with out etc, smb gave me some leftover speaker wireturns out the harness ran underneath the back seat, taped it and ran it into the fuse box, some random circuit that came on with the key on, ran it like that for over a year till I found a $5 junk yard replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.