Power Liftgate stopped working

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Power Liftgate stopped working

Thank you for your reply. Were you having the same symptoms as I was?

The liftgate would open 1/4 of the way and then "bounce" open a tiny bit at a time until it was just about 1/2 to 3/4 way open, then float all the way open.

By taking apart the assembly, I determined the voltage to the motor disappeared and the relay dis-engaged, then re-engaged 3 or 4 times. When the relay disengaged, the drive mechanism was able to "freewheel" and that allowed the struts to push the lift gate open until the relay re-engaged. That is what caused the bouncing.

I have been looking for a used assembly but so far have been unsuccessful.
    There was a post in this thread that mentioned it may require a "Learn Cycle" but I have been reluctant to return to the dealer and pay them another $100.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Does anyone know what the price for a relearn from a dealer should be? I called a local dealer today and they wanted $125. Seems outrages for a 15 minute scan hook up and relearn

This sure sounds like worn out struts on the door. The computer uses PWM to control the speed of the door going up and down so thats why the voltage disappears. I would think that the bouncing is from the struts barely able to support the door and the motor lugging. With new struts, the door should raise itself at the half way point without the motors help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

While the lift struts aren't new, they are unlikely to be the source of this issue. As it has been stated several times in this thread, the motor assembly acts the same way whether or not it is even attached to the door itself.
    I plugged it into the harness, removed the lift rod and lift the gate by hand while pushing the Open button. Therefore, bypassing both liftstruts and ensuring there isn't any undue strain on the motor.
    I can also add strain to the motor by adding the liftrod and adding resistance to it but nothing I do has any effect on the the behavior of the motor assembly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Probably gonna need a liftgate relearn done like me.

I had the same problem. Mine is 4th generation (model year 2002) but the logic is the same for the liftgates at least... Before taking the van to the electrician, I have just wanted to take a look at this forum and I found this solution as described in dodge forum linked by "laptnc". I assisted (pushing down) the liftgate while closing just for once and it started working correctly on it's own. I do not have any problem since I performed this assistance today. It is really weird but successful as said in that forum. Thank you for your help!! "laptnc"...

Quote Originally Posted by VOYAGER2003 View Post
    I had the same problem. Mine is 4th generation (model year 2002) but the logic is the same for the liftgates at least... Before taking the van to the electrician, I have just wanted to take a look at this forum and I found this solution as described in dodge forum linked by "laptnc". I assisted (pushing down) the liftgate while closing just for once and it started working correctly on it's own. I do not have any problem since I performed this assistance today. It is really weird but successful as said in that forum. Thank you for your help!! "laptnc"...
    You are welcome and glad it worked for you.

aka "laptnc"
    2014 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY TOURING WAGON

10. The Following User Says Thank You to leptnc For This Useful Post:

VOYAGER2003(02-20-2017)

What ended up being the problem for you OP? I have just encountered this same issue.

I might be very paranoid but the more I read the threads on this 5th gen forum it reinforces the gut feeling I have.
    I have a gut feeling that our vans have hidden bits of software that are designed to disable certain modules throughout the car to ensure we have to take it back to the dealership and or buy new parts.
    Kind of like how VW had hidden software but for a different purpose.

I have a VW Routan-which is a Town & Country-with a VW badge on it. And the tranny is throwing all kinds of codes. Software crap...as mentioned by @Ozvan.
    2010 VW Routan SE
    All Chrysler parts, that's why I come here for info

(SOLD)-2005 T&C Touring W.P. Chrysler Signature Series
    3.8 V6, most bells and whistles.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply