Bendix 10 ABS accumulator

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bendix 10 ABS accumulator

Thanks

Question Bendix 10 ABS accumulator

New to to forum, just read through the "ABS saga" thread from the summer of 1996, and I'm left with a question -- can the accumulator go "sort of" bad?

I have a '92 Grand Voyager LE with Bendix 10 ABS. When the brakes are applied any more than the lightest touch, the "Anti lock" and "Brake" lights flash momentarily on the dash; and the pump runs EVERY time the brakes are pressed, but does NOT run otherwise and the brakes work fine. I took it to the dealer suspecting the lifetime warranty recall actuator piston assembly or pump (which was already done once on this van before I bought it). $87.32 of diagnostics later they say I have a bad accumulator which they have to fix FIRST before they can test for the warranty parts, for a total of over $500 (including the diagnostics).

I bought a junkyard accumulator for ten bucks and swapped it on (in less than five minutes with an oil filter wrench), but it would not pressurize AT ALL (pump just ran and ran) so I swapped my original back on and it's back to "normal".

I found the accumulator online for about $200, but before I spend another dime, does anyone know if these things can go "sort of" bad? Is it possible for these things to hold enough pressure to operate the brakes well, but not enough to keep the warning lights off? Or is the dealer feeding me a line...

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Russ Boyd

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Given that dealers now are shying away from fixing these devices. Because they A lose $$$ for them or B getting the parts is near impossible IMO the best thing is to drive old Betsy to the salvage yard and humanely "put her to sleep". Invest the time and $$$ in a more modern version.

Thanks

Thanks, but I'm not giving up that easily! I JUST BOUGHT this thing three weeks ago -- yeah, with full knowledge that the lights were flashing, duh. Junking is not an option. AND a friend just had his 1993 T&C fixed FREE the day before I took mine in ...
    1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE -- Gray
    1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE -- White

Thanks

He got very lucky. No offense but with the age of this vehicle I would not have touched it as it is no longer required by law to have parts available anymore. You might try to find another one (van) in good shape but with bad running gear and swap the engine and trans with this one. But sorry there is really no word of encouragement here. Also if you live in the rust belt know that the frames of these are prone to rot through which makes for another unsafe condition. Been there/done that with a 93 T&C a few years ago and never will again

Thanks

No rust, checked that WELL before I bought, I have enough rust to deal with on my SE. And they ARE required to fix the actuator piston assembly seals and the pump FREE for the life of the vehicle per recall #685. As some of the the correspondence on the NHTSA website puts it, these parts are warranted "essentially forever". The van only has 95k miles and I don't mind putting $200 into an accumulator IF THAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM. My question is how do these accumulators go bad? Are they all-or-nothing as I am suspecting, or IS it possible for one to go a little at a time?

Thanks

The third ABS brake system that I had in my '93 T&C acted in a similar fashion, for about 6 months, before it finally got bad enough that both lights came on permanently. After this happened, I cautiously drove it to the dealership that now agreed that it was bad enough to warrant it's fourth ABS brake system. The fourth one was starting to go bad when I junked it with 160K miles. (because the 3rd transmission failed).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russboyd92grands View Post
    No rust, checked that WELL before I bought, I have enough rust to deal with on my SE. And they ARE required to fix the actuator piston assembly seals and the pump FREE for the life of the vehicle per recall #685. As some of the the correspondence on the NHTSA website puts it, these parts are warranted "essentially forever". The van only has 95k miles and I don't mind putting $200 into an accumulator IF THAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM. My question is how do these accumulators go bad? Are they all-or-nothing as I am suspecting, or IS it possible for one to go a little at a time?
    Life of vehicle................describe this. A mfgr. is only required by law to supply parts for 7 years after production (could be 10 but years are sneaking up on me). Your van is WELL in excess of the legal term "life of vehicle" and with Chrysler on the skids do you really think they will keep sinking money in to the endless pit?
    LIfe of vehicle sounds all well and good (just like political promises) but it is defines as I described. Seriously not wanting to start an issue here but I would not touch one of these again with a 10' pole. I hope for your sake you get lucky but time is NOT on your side here

Thanks

I'm not trying to start an issue either, I just asked a technical question about the accumulator, which I have found my answer to. I also found a decent dealership which is willing to honor recall #685 without runaround.

From the recall #685 documentation on the NHTSA website:

"Chrysler has not only agreed to recall and repair the subject vehicles, but will also extend the warranty on all components of the Bendix Antilock 10 braking systems to 10 years/100,000 miles, except for the brake actuator piston assembly and the pump/motor assembly which, by the recall, are effectively warranted forever. Chrysler also indicated that they would reimburse owners for prior repair costs related to the failure and degredation of the seals and pump/motor assemblies."

So how long is "forever"? Until Chrysler goes under, which may be soon...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russboyd92grands View Post
    It sounds (to me, at least) like it might be one (or more) of the sensors. If you were to pull the fuse for the ABS (thus disabling the sensors) and everything works well, then (in my opinion) the accumulator valve is not the problem.

I had a bad accumulator valve, and it had simalar symptoms to a bad master cylinder. In fact I replaced the mc 4 times before discovering the real issue.

Good luck. And if pulling the fuse stops the symtoms, it should be okay to leave the fuse out in the mean time to make it safe to drive.
    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!!

Current ride:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L, purchased at 108,000kms. Now at 166,000km and counting)

Past rides:
    1997 Dodge Caravan Rallye (3.3L 242,000kms)
    2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base Model)
    1988 Ford Ranger (2.9L 2wd)
    1973 Dodge Cornet Wagon (318 cid)
    1965 Rambler Classic 550 4 dr (232 cid)
    1966 Rambler Classic 55 Wagon (232 cid)

Thanks

I also have a 92 voyager with bendix 10 brake system is it possible to change the sytem over to either an earlier or later vacum system (e.g. replacing the booster and master cylinder.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply