Transmission fluid on garage floor, where to start?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid on garage floor, where to start?

Thanks

Transmission fluid on garage floor, where to start?

I have 2001 T&C. This morning after my wife brought the kids to school, she noticed when pulling back into the garage there was transmission fluid on the garage floor. A decent amount about 8" X 4" wide.

On Monday the engine light came on P0455...A large leak has been detected in the evaporative system. Not sure if this is related or not. I did replace some cracked hoses on Monday night and pulled the battery and so far the light didn't come back on.

Any suggestions on where to start? Read on the forum about the gasket leaking. How difficult is that to replace, any tips/tricks? Are there any hoses that could be leaking?

I told her that I couldn't fix it through the phone but would like some ideas of where to start when I go home tonight and she's standing there with the car jacked up holding a flashlight and wrench.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

For the trans start with simple things. Cooler hoses well their clamps anyway become loose and cause most of these leaks.

Thanks

could be PS fluid also. On my van they are the same fluid.

craw underneath and look up at the transmission. If it is not there start looking at hoses. Check the level of the transmission and PS fluids and see if either are low.
    2005 T&C Signature Series, 64,xxx miles
    Lots of rust, leaking steering rack, bad rear AC condenser coil, rusted (and replaced) rear brake line. Looking forward to the next failure/defect that this Chrysler will bring into our lives.

Thanks

I had the transmission oil cooler and the hoses in my van replaced this summer. There was not a puddle, but the bottom of the pan was wet with transmission fluid.

I second the suggestion to check both the transmission and the power steering fluid levels, as both may use ATF+4. However, in the 2001 model year, I don't believe they had yet switched over to ATF+4 in the power steering system, so unless it was serviced by a dealer, it probably has regular old DOT Power Steering Fluid in it. If you check the Power steering and it has clear or grayish liquid in it, your leak is definitely the transmission or transmission cooler or hoses.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

Thanks

May be power steering fluid

My father-in-lawjust stopped by and took a look at the van. He believes it's power steering fluid coming from the power steering pump, he could see the fluid leaking at one of the bolts. The leak is on the passenger side in line with the front wheel.

Will take a look when I get home and post back what I find, hopefully with some pictures if I can't figure it out.
    Last edited by 13ducati13; 10-24-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

It is....drum roll please....the water pump. Coming out in the bottom corner at one of the bolts. I was able to tighten the bolt a little bit probably won't help though.

Now replacing a water pump...DIY or take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 13ducati13 View Post
    It is....drum roll please....the water pump. Coming out in the bottom corner at one of the bolts. I was able to tighten the bolt a little bit probably won't help though.

Now replacing a water pump...DIY or take it to the dealer?
    Water pump?

Not to sound snide, but how did you mistake coolant for trans fluid?

Anyway, it's pretty involved, but you can do it if you have a Saturday to dedicate to it.

Word of advice, change the timing belt while you're at it, and the timing belt tensioner too. Also, get yourself a good quality NEW water pump, not a re-manufactured one.
    When troubleshooting, always assume the simplest cause first!

'02 Chrysler Voyager
    Short Wheel Base
    2.4L 3 Speed
    102,000 Miles

Thanks

I had not seen the fluid...my wife described it to me over the phone. To be fair to her our antifreeze is pink and the stuff on the floor after being a bit dirty does look reddish.

Thanks

Water pump is a piece of cake to replace. The only thing to remember is to use never seize on the bolts when going back together. Keep an eye on the power steering pump and hoses as well as the transmission cooler hoses, these are both prone to failure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 13ducati13 View Post
    I had not seen the fluid...my wife described it to me over the phone. To be fair to her our antifreeze is pink and the stuff on the floor after being a bit dirty does look reddish.
    Gotcha. Just wondering.

Anyway yeah, it's certainly a DIY job. Get yourself a manual and it will give you the step by step.
    When troubleshooting, always assume the simplest cause first!

'02 Chrysler Voyager
    Short Wheel Base
    2.4L 3 Speed
    102,000 Miles

+ Reply to Thread