Thermostat 2004 Caravan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat 2004 Caravan

Thanks

Thermostat 2004 Caravan

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked and couldn't find anything. Provide link please if this is already posted.

I am having a heat issue on my 04 Caravan 3.3L. It's getting cold here and I have on sporadic heat coming from the vents. The heat gauge goes to about half then I get a burst of heat then the needle drops and then I get nothing. From what I can gather this is a thermostat issue. Is replacing a thermostat a DIY thing? I called around and they want $150 to replace this thing. From what I can tell this looks to maybe be a 10 minute job. Am I totally wrong? Should I just pay the $150. If not, anyone have a guide? Also, I hear there's TWO thermostats in my van, any ideas which needs to be replaced?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlegault View Post
    Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked and couldn't find anything. Provide link please if this is already posted.

I am having a heat issue on my 04 Caravan 3.3L. It's getting cold here and I have on sporadic heat coming from the vents. The heat gauge goes to about half then I get a burst of heat then the needle drops and then I get nothing. From what I can gather this is a thermostat issue. Is replacing a thermostat a DIY thing? I called around and they want $150 to replace this thing. From what I can tell this looks to maybe be a 10 minute job. Am I totally wrong? Should I just pay the $150. If not, anyone have a guide? Also, I hear there's TWO thermostats in my van, any ideas which needs to be replaced?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Better check your coolant level (in the radiator and the overflow / reservoir tank). Sounds like your coolant level is down and air in the system is causing your problems. As to adding more coolant, it depends on what color is in there now. If orangeish, it's HOAT like it should be, go with Zerex G-05 50/50 mix. If green, then what coolant is it - probably 2 year life regular glycol?
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

heat

All chrysler coolant is orange hoat since like 2001 so only use that to refill or the zerex equivalent , do not mix with green antifreeze if low. when engine is completely cold look at the coolant recovery tank , level should be midway between the min and max marks on the bottle.
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    Deep Cherry Red
    5000 miles
    2008 Isuzu Ascender
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    72000 miles

Thanks

I feel like such a tool!

You were totally right. There was ZERO coolant in the overflow and about 2 to 3 inches down in the RAD. I bought some or the orange stuff. Dex cool in this case. only stuff I could find at Canadian Tire that was Orange (well they had their brand also). I still can't believe I didn't open the hood and look before posting.

Thank you everyone for your help...BTW I have tons of heat now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlegault View Post
    I feel like such a tool!

You were totally right. There was ZERO coolant in the overflow and about 2 to 3 inches down in the RAD. I bought some or the orange stuff. Dex cool in this case. only stuff I could find at Canadian Tire that was Orange (well they had their brand also). I still can't believe I didn't open the hood and look before posting.

Thank you everyone for your help...BTW I have tons of heat now.
    Oooops. Mixing Dex-Cool (OAT) with G-05 (HOAT) may not be good. They have even managed to complicate coolants.
    http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/

Thanks

Here is an interesting article describing the various types of Coolant/Antifreeze.

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.html

here is a sample

Quote:
    Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) is a combination of IAT and OAT with nitrites added. This makes HOAT suitable for use in both light duty and heavy duty systems. Currently, two manufacturers are using HOAT for their vehicles. Daimler/Chrysler's version is dyed orange and contains 10% recycled antifreeze. Ford Motor Company's version is dyed yellow and does not contain any recycled antifreeze. Both of these HOAT antifreezes use the marketing designator of GO-5. They are compatible with each other but mixing them with IAT or OAT is not recommended. The normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000 miles (250,000 km).
    End Quote

Based on this I think you are probably OK to top up with a little Dexcool (OAT)
    coolant but be careful in the future.
    2003 GRAND CARAVAN SPORT
    1997 RAM 1500 SPORT 4x4
    2003 ALERO

Thanks

coolant

Don't put dexcool in , thats GM coolant . If you did you should think about getting it flushed at the dealer . I would also have them check around ,in a properly operating system you should not lose any coolant . Possible water pump going and leaking out that ???
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    Deep Cherry Red
    5000 miles
    2008 Isuzu Ascender
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    72000 miles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vipergg View Post
    Don't put dexcool in , thats GM coolant . If you did you should think about getting it flushed at the dealer . I would also have them check around ,in a properly operating system you should not lose any coolant . Possible water pump going and leaking out that ???
    I recently checked a 2005 - 3.3 for a Friend. It was not giving out any heat from the heater. Sure enough, the coolant level was down. Why ... I still don't know. Aded some G-05 50/50 (the yellow Ford type was available at Wal-Mart) and it seemed to be holding for the next couple of days. I suspect a leak somewhere though and must check the level again and add some stop leak if it is down / down enough.
    Probably best to do a pressure test though and verify where the leak, if any, is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    I recently checked a 2005 - 3.3 for a Friend. It was not giving out any heat from the heater. Sure enough, the coolant level was down. Why ... I still don't know. Aded some G-05 50/50 (the yellow Ford type was available at Wal-Mart) and it seemed to be holding for the next couple of days. I suspect a leak somewhere though and must check the level again and add some stop leak if it is down / down enough.
    Probably best to do a pressure test though and verify where the leak, if any, is.
    I don't think the yellow Ford type is true HOAT, is it?
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vipergg View Post
    in a properly operating system you should not lose any coolant
    There it is right there. Low coolant level is only a symptom of a bigger problem. Find the leak and fix it. Neglecting the cooling system is a huge mistake!
    When troubleshooting, always assume the simplest cause first!

'02 Chrysler Voyager
    Short Wheel Base
    2.4L 3 Speed
    102,000 Miles

+ Reply to Thread