The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1997 Grand Caravan starts then dies

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hooper 
#1 ·
This is happening irregularly. I turn the key to start the van and it fires right off, but maybe 10 seconds later it dies. I start it again and it fires right off, but then dies again.

I haven't been able to figure out whether outside temperature or engine cold/hot has anything to do with it.

What I do notice is the tachometer doesn't indicate any RPMs during the above process.

When the van DOES work, which is most of the time, the tachometer indicates the RPM correctly.

Frustrating - can't get to happen in a shop for them to check it out - can't figure out what's making it happen.

Thanks,
Terry.

#2 ·
#4 ·
Vacuum leak? Ya could be but I would think it would have to be a big one to kill the engine. Spent a career in the Air Force as an electronics tech. I've got electrons flowing through the viens. It effects the brain.

Have somebody listen for a hiss when it's running.

#5 ·
Terry, sorry for checking in so late on this problem. On my 99 T&C, we had similar problems. In my case, it was the poor solder connection in the dash board. Relatively easy to fix, and it solved a LOT of problems. Just do a search here for "solder dash" and you will see several comments. There is also an excellent article on just how to perform this task.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.