The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Is there a way to check the gas cap?

32K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  n8ech 
#1 ·
I'm getting a check engine light on my '01 (P0441 code...evap emission control system purge flow fault). Is there a way to check the gas cap? It looks fine, but I could swear the last time I shut the vehicle down and opened the fuel door, I heard a slight air leak sound.

#4 ·
gas cap

Let me know if you find an answer , getting the same code which just started today .

Just started getting a check engine light on a 2004 T&C with the 3.3 liter engine . Doing the famous keydance I get a p0441 dtc . Any known common easy to fix issues that might cause this ? Will a bad gas cap cause this or are we looking at something more substantial ? The car is running fine at this point other than the MIL . A search reveals the following info but that is a pretty wide list of things it could be , probably stuck going to the dealer. Saw no lines or hoses that looked out of place.

A code P0441 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

* Bad vacuum switch
* Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
* Open in PCM purge command circuit
* Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
* Faulty purge solenoid
* Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
* Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
* Bad PCM

Possible Solutions

With a P0441 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

* Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP
* Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister
* Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
* Repair open in PCM purge command circuit
* Replace purge Solenoid
* Replace vacuum switch
* Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or soleniod
* Repair resistance in purge connector
* Replace PCM

#5 ·
Did P1684 show up as well by any chance?

#8 ·
bob96:

The fact that you heard the hiss when removing the cap means it is still doing its job. When the cap died on my 01 Durango, the hiss was no longer present.

The good news is that a spanking new one at the dealer is a whopping $14.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.