The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Van GV 1997 Stop running suddenly in highway

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Renegade1127 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I was getting into the ramp to get into a very bussy hwy in Toronto (400) and suddenly my van dyes on me, what scary moment, no power stering, I have to react quickly and I manage to start it again while runing and it did start and the engine light came on, this was saturday night, and then now the light is off and the van is running fine, also I noticed that the fuel gauge was going up and down all night ( my car was with a full tank) but the needle just start going to empty and the beeping alarm when is low on fuel was on and off. now this fuel gauge is ok. Please can anyone tell me what is going on ? I left my van parked since may and I just start using it again last week, could be because of that? I have 205.000 Km. I just did the emission and was perfect, it passed it.
Thanks for your comments.

IBM

#3 ·
I'm no expert, but what you're saying leads me to believe you have a bad battery and/or bad connection to the battery. You said the service engine soon (SES) light came on when the engine quit, but when you were able to restart it, the light went out. The SES light means the computer has stored a code, and normally the light won't go out on its own until 40 warm up cycles have completed and the problem hasn't reoccurred. However, you can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it (not recommended normally), but this could explain why the light went out - your battery is giving an intermittent connection. This may also explain why your fuel gauge went a little whacky. Did everything else shut off too like your radio, etc.?

Has the van been parked since May with the battery connected? Usually battery terminals corrode pretty quickly - disconnect them, and clean them thoroughly with a fine grit sandpaper or steel wool, and take a look around for any heavily corroded grounding wires under the hood and clean them up. That would be what I would look at first - always want to help a fellow GTA'er!:hi2:

#4 ·
The light came out after it shut off, I had taken my battery to canadian Tire 3 weeks ago to check it up and they said it was good. sometimes it stall and the light come on and sometimes shut off and the light comes on, it stays on for a couple of days and then off again like nothing happen. I just need to find oput what is wrong I do not want to get stock in winter time with it. some body said it may be a tps has a fault conection, do you know where is this located it ? thanks for the info.!

#5 ·
What is the TPS? If it happens again, and the light stays on, I'd go directly to a mechanic to get them to scan the computer to tell you what code is showing up. It might be a computer malfunction - I have read of people having that problem on here. I would go under the hood, and look closely for every electrical connection I see and check for a good secure connection. Hopefully someone here has some input on this!

#7 ·
Next time you see the service engine soon (SES) light come on try the key dance to get the fault code. What's the "key dance". Cycle the ignition key from off to on (not start) 3 times leaving it on. Count the flashes of the SES light. These flash combinations are the code we are looking for. All fault codes have two digits, each digit is separated by a pause, each code is separated by a longer pause. For example a code 21 would be flash, flash, pause, flash. Should finish with a code 55. This code can lead us to the fault.

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

Tony0707 - I can't count out the CCD bus/solder joint issue but, in this cause I would lean toward a simple crankshaft sensor failure. Why? Usually with the bus issue you'll see multiple instruments fail and many times it won't crank. That's missing here...at least so far. At this point the fuel gauge issue is a ?

#10 ·
So from off you went to on...off...on...off...on and never saw the service engine light?

There's another way to read your codes. If the service engine light comes on and stays on try making your way to an Autozone or similar store. They will connect a scanner and read your codes for free. This will give you the more detailed "P" codes. They start with "P" and have 4 digits. Might try it even if the light is off.

#12 ·
Hi the post here-----i am still at it---had the problem of his van shutting down at highway speeds-took him two months to find out he bought a bad replacement cam sensor-could your cam sensor be starting to work intermittently? (that should pull up a code ) if your idle speed drops to low for any reason -your engine will--- stall- so far that seems to be what happened -when your power steering went out

#13 ·
Hi if you think you have moisture in you gas-add dry gas to your gas tank-one bottle for 1/2 tank-and two for a full tank-it will mix with the moisture and allow the water to burn thru the engine-very common in colder areas-and changes in weather from warm to colder

#15 ·
If the crankshaft position sensor is faulty, you will get MIL code 11.

There a 2 possible 'P' codes.
p1391='Intermittent loss of either camshaft (CMP) or crankshaft (CKP) position sensor'
p1398='CKP sensor target windows have too much variation'.

The crankshaft position sensor is mounted on the top of the transmission bellhousing, above the differential driveplate. (passenger side on US models, driver side on UK models).

Just to confuse people completely, there is another MIL code 11. This is when there is no CKP signal detected while cranking the engine on the starter. This fault will not flash the SES light, and doesn't store a 'p' code either.
I once had that very fault on a Daimler XJ6, took ages to figure it out.
I wonder if Chrysler's fault diagnosis is based on the Daimler system, as in 'Daimler/Chrysler Corporation' ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.