The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Engine rattle on acceleration

27K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Westphal 
#1 ·
Greetings,
1997 Chrysler T&C 190,000 miles. Driving back from Chicago 3 weeks ago I started noticing a rattle when the engine would upshift at highway speed (on cruise control), even in the slightest hill. I have also noticed the same noise for a few seconds when first turning the engine on in the morning. My first theory was the knock sensor (does the knock sensor give an error code if not working?), either way I changed it but the rattle continues, it is definitely on the "front" of the engine (pass. side). I tried the "garden hose" method but I cannot find where the rattle originates. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
Do not in any way jump to the conclusion that you need to rebuild your engine as the 3.8 liter engine (and its virtually identical 3.3 sibling) are well known for being able to deliver hundreds of thousands of miles with just regular maintenance.

As for your rattle, there are several ways in which you might diagnose the noise including the garden hose method (although you might have to figure out how rig it so that you can listen while you drive) or find a garage that has those new radio transmitter listening devices that they can stick all over the engine compartment to isolate the location of a noise. Your problem could be as simple as resonance in the exhaust system, a bad motor mount or any number of other relatively inexpensive to fix problems.

Reactions: Kent Wright
#7 ·
Internal rather than external :ask_wsign
Heat shield :ask_wsign
Did you take the oil filler cap off and listen there?

#12 ·
Hi Folks I am new on this forum and noticed the same fault here as is on my Grand Voyager 3.3 (UK). Has there been any resolution to this problem. I actually was thinking (hoping rather) that it may be exhaust related as its is louder under load and acceleration and hardly noticeable when idling. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Robert.

#13 ·
My 3.3L was making an odd rattling noise which was heavy like a heat shield or heavier sound and I could feel it sitting in the driver seat.....I eventually traced it to the alternator bracket bolt had fallen out and the heavy bracket was resonating against the motor.

The noise was a lot heavier sounding than I would have thought could have come from that.

If the alternator or anything in back of the motor was worked on prior to the noise starting that might be a good hint.

#14 ·
Check your belt tensioner by pulling/pushing the belt, the tensioner should move quite easy if you do that test.

I had problems with a frozen tensioner some time ago that caused a strange ratteling noise, sounded like the exhaust was against the body somewhere.
Turned out to be the belt that was vibrating because of the low tension.

Other than that i would think that in that area the timingchain is a probable cause to.

If you ask me these engines is by no means "bulletproof" in any way:eekkkk:

#15 ·
it seems it is the manifold

Thanks for the replies. I drove the car into an tyre and exhaust co and they looked at it. They said it looks like the rear manifold is cracked as there was a lot of black soot on the heat sheild though he could not see the crack. The exhaust itself is fine he said but they would not change the manifold as it is something they do not do. Is it that big a job? I downloaded a pdf manual and it seems that belts and generator need taking out just to get the manifold out, is that right and I would (if attempting this myself) be working on the car on the street on a jack. Is this something I would be better finding a mechanic to do? I am pleased it is the manifold I had nightmares of it being a transmission problem.

Thanks
Robert.

#21 ·
Thanks for the replies. I drove the car into an tyre and exhaust co and they looked at it. They said it looks like the rear manifold is cracked as there was a lot of black soot on the heat sheild though he could not see the crack. The exhaust itself is fine he said but they would not change the manifold as it is something they do not do. Is it that big a job? I downloaded a pdf manual and it seems that belts and generator need taking out just to get the manifold out, is that right and I would (if attempting this myself) be working on the car on the street on a jack. Is this something I would be better finding a mechanic to do? I am pleased it is the manifold I had nightmares of it being a transmission problem.

Thanks
Robert.
Climb under and see if the soot is from a worn out donut gasket on the exhaust manifold/pipe connection, or worn out bolts and springs. If you have some miles on the car, it is a good guess these need replacing and will result in soot.

#16 ·
It is possible to do it yourself but NEVER work on a vehicle solely under the support of a jack. Stands are mandatory unless you have a death wish. Due to that and the fact that you have to do it in the street, you may be better off finding a good mechanic..

#18 ·
Thanks a lot. I am going to price the job by a mechanic and if it is too expensive I will buy myself a set of ramps. Thing is, the day after the manifold went, my only other car was broken into and they tried to hotwire it damaging the immobilzer. I have managed to get the steering cloumn back together again but now need a replacement immobilizer to get it running. I don't want to be stuck with no transport so think I will wait on the manifold until I get the other car working. Thanks again.

#20 ·
From what you describe, without getting too technical, it sounds like ordinary octane knock or ping. Switch to the highest octane gasoline you can get in your area and see if it eliminates it. You may have carbon build up in the cylinders, some combustion chamber cleaners might work wonders. Usually, there is trace pink under load when your octane rating is just about right. I believe that can be affected by such things as altitude as well, you didn't mention where you are. But try these simple things and see if it goes away.
If high octane eliminates it, try mid grade, if that eliminates it, try half mid - half regular, etc. until you find the right mix.

#22 ·
You might take the inexpensive test route first, and run a can of sea-foam through the system. I take it from the immobiliser that the other car is a Land Rover? Use the sea-foam the same way.

I used it religiously on my 2nd gen minivans every 10-12 K, and the borescope showed the inside of the cylinders and valves looking like new.

#23 ·
Can anybody pinpoint what the rattle is and how to fix this gravel upon starting my engine and acceleration? Mine began when I went to Jiffy Lube off of 72nd and Pacific Avenue in Tacoma Washington and paid for a oil change at $97 with the coupon and they were short staff and did not give me the oil change or change the filter. They told me to come back the next day and they will finish the job. Well when I came out today they did nothing at all. I did not know that I had the same oil filter and no oil in my oil tank when I left Jiffy Lube. So I drove around for three weeks then all of a sudden is rattling came from the upper right part of the engine every time I started my van and push the gas pedal. Then the dreaded ticking started. So I had a mechanic friend come in and fix the spring and clean the Piston rods in the manifold and I still have that dreaded rattling when starting the engine and pushing the gas pedal. So based off of these facts, can anyone pinpoint the problem and how to fix it? I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with a 3.3 L engine and 290000 miles on the engine. I impatiently but humbly await your responses thank you very for any help you all can provide.

#24 ·
Jiffy Lube - 'nuff said. You drove it. Without oil. It's dead. Sue Jiffy Lube.

$97??!! You can do a pretty good oil change yourself for HALF of that.

#25 ·
I took my wife's Ford Contour to Jiffy Lube once for an oil change and transmission flush, probably 20 years ago or so. Trans lasted maybe 50-100 miles before it started slipping really bad and had a fatal failure. Luckily, we had an extended warranty on the car, so I think I only paid $100 for the deductible. Last time I took anything there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.