The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

inoperable turn signals

22K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  madbrad 
#1 ·
I have a friend with a '99 Dodge Grand Caravan with inoperable turn signals. Where to look first:

Thraan said:
My sister in law called me earlier asking what the right arm signals were for turning left and right.

What??

Okay, so 20 questions later I find out that the real problem is that the turn signals don't work on her minivan. When she would indicate to turn it would flash once or twice and then go out. It was like that for a while (I dunno a week or so, maybe) and now it doesn't even flash once.

So I figure it's not a fuse (but I will check them first anyway) and is probably the flasher relay/module/blackbox/thingy. I phoned a couple of parts places and they don't have them and suggested calling the dealer. Found one place that had one in stock but it's not close to me - $36 part number LM 468. Googled that and found this

http://www.novitatech.com/tridonflashers.html

Sounds like the right part. But let's phone the dealer and ask for parts...

The guy says I should replace the daytime running light module for a cool $97 and btw if it's not that then I can't return electrical parts and I should probably just bring it in for service. And where is it in the vehicle? Oh probably under the dash, it would be a black box about the size of a pack of cards, maybe near the steering column.

Now I'm not sure if the LM 468 is the right part.

So, does anyone know how Dodge Grand Caravan turn signals work? Or what part I need? I'd like to fix it myself, but I don't want to buy the wrong part(s) and waste her money.

#2 ·
Edit: The '99 minivan in question is the Canada model. I think it makes a difference.

#4 ·
I am having a related problem, where the DRLs stay on sometimes when the headlights are turned on, or sometimes don't come on when they are supposed to. The DRLs use the brighter filament in the corner light, the same filament the turn signal uses. So far I still have working turn signals, but I can hear a click when the DRLs turn on or off. When I get time I'll chase down the click and find the module or relay involved. I suggest you try that. With any luck, we can open them and see if cleaning of contacts helps or at least identify something that's gone bad. I turn on all lights 24/7 so I don't need DRLs, so if pulling a relay out fixes my problem I'll stop there.

#6 ·
Thanks for the information, surfer and madbrad. This really helps.

#7 ·
I have just had that module out and back in. It's about the size of 2 relays side by side. It's above that row of fuses. Its pins look like they are some on one half for the turn signals and only 3 on the other half for the DRL. I popped off the cover and there's a circuit board and 4 relays. It's about impossible to get anything in those contacts to clean them. I put it back in and I found that as I jiggle it I hear relays clicking. Anyway now the DRLs don't come on. That's fine with me. It seems to me your problem is either that module or the turn signal flasher if there is one. Try the boneyard.

#8 ·
left hand turn signal not working

Hi guys
Help!:help_wsig i have just been given a dodge caravan 1999 3.0L auto electric everything.
which is great it is a Canadian model exported to the uk 5 yrs ago.
I have a couple of jobs to do to get it back on the road for the MOT.
I can do the brakes and tyre etc. But my problem is the left hand turn signal:confused: it won't work the right hand one dose and so do the hazard light's the stalk was changed recently (before i got the vehicle) so i am presuming that isn't the issue (i know never presume) any help or advice here would be great a wiring diagram would be fantastic if possible.
Thank you
Mark

#10 ·
Hi guys
Help!:help_wsig i have just been given a dodge caravan 1999 3.0L auto electric everything.
which is great it is a Canadian model exported to the uk 5 yrs ago.
I have a couple of jobs to do to get it back on the road for the MOT.
I can do the brakes and tyre etc. But my problem is the left hand turn signal:confused: it won't work the right hand one dose and so do the hazard light's the stalk was changed recently (before i got the vehicle) so i am presuming that isn't the issue (i know never presume) any help or advice here would be great a wiring diagram would be fantastic if possible.
Thank you
Mark
It's possible that doublewide flasher/relay module is bad, but maybe it covers both turn signals. If so, then if it were bad then neither side turn signal would work, so I would begin checking fuses. See if you can find a fuse marked LEFT TURN or something. You coula try pulling the doublewide module and popping off the cover and cleaning the contacts in it with some contact cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.