The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Remote Start- Sometimes won't work???

57K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Sienile 
#1 ·
This morning the remote start on the van didn't want to work. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time it has done this. We're out of town and the van sat in the snow overnight so it's when I really could have used it!! I normally don't use it at home since I park in the garage.

When I press the start button twice, it just honks once and does nothing. Normally it honks twice and starts. Any ideas? Does it throw a code when this happens that the dealer could read? I just tried it a few minutes ago and it started right up like normal.

#2 ·
It can throw a code for that, and that code may not set the CEL. If the PCM detects low battery voltage, the remote start will not work either. Run it by a dealer and let them look at it. It may even have a software update for the issue.

Do me one favor, next time the remote start does not function properly, try the other key. If that key works, tell that to the dealer.

#5 ·
Good info. If it does it again, I will try the other key. Thanks!

How much fuel? if it is under a quarter or so it won't fire up.
About half tank so that should be good.

Also will only allow two remote consecutive starts with the fob.
This was the first try.

#7 ·
Has been working fine the past couple days but this morning it didn't want to work again. I asked the wife to try her key fob but she didn't have it. :rolleyes: Gee, why would you bring a spare key when we're 9 hours from home?

#8 ·
I know it may seem silly that I want you to try the other fob. But knowing if the 2nd fob performs properly when the 1st fob don't will be a VERY valuable piece of information for your dealer when you take it in for service.

#10 ·
ok..this might be obvious

I believe the remote start will not work if the vehicle is unlocked. I know I have accidently unlocked the van, then tried the remote start and it only beeps once and does not activate. When I pressed the lock button and then tried the remote start...voila...it works. Just a thought......

#11 ·
I believe the remote start will not work if the vehicle is unlocked. I know I have accidently unlocked the van, then tried the remote start and it only beeps once and does not activate. When I pressed the lock button and then tried the remote start...voila...it works. Just a thought......
Yep, I tried that. On my GM vehicles you have to press the lock button before holding the RS button. The times it didn't work, it had been sitting overnight locked.

I did try unlocking, then locking then the RS button and it does the same thing.

#13 ·
Make sure you don't have a phone charger plugged into the lighter in the car. I read that this can effect the remote performance somehow. I had the same problem, and now make sure the charger is always unplugged and haven't had any issues.
Interesting. I did have my Garmin along but I unplug it when not being used. I will make a mental note. Thanks.

#15 ·
I know a couple of other things to check if you still find it doing this is (1) check the under hood switch for movement or misalignment as it will not start if it thinks the hood is open. (2) I am not 100% sure but on my truck if the parking brake is not set it will not function...

#17 ·
I haven't had any problems since "starting" this thread. lol

Reactions: jgbat
#20 ·
Well. mine did it to me again this morning. Our driveway was poured last week so I've been parking the van in the street. I've been remote starting it all week because the weather has been cold. This morning, it decided to be a little b*tch and not start. I tried the other keyfob and it did the same thing. I didn't check the hood switch but I know the hood hasn't been opened all week. I did have the brake set, tank was just under full and nothing was plugged into the lighters. It started perfectly fine putting the fob in the ignition. :confused:

#21 ·
..... and again this morning. :angrya:

#26 ·
I don't believe you have to have the van locked for the remote starter to work. My 2010 T&C Walter P. Chrysler edition will remote start when unlocked. When I press the start button on the remote, I can hear the doors lock, the fuel pump start and then the van starts.

I have had it for about a year now, and it has occasionally taken more than one try to get it to remote start. It also seems to getting a little more fussy about how quickly the start button is pressed twice to get it to start. It doesn't seem to like a very short period between button pushes.

#28 ·
On my '08, one keyfob starts it then shuts off after a few seconds of running and my other fob honks once and doesn't start. My guess ever since my check engine light came on my remote start hasn't worked properly.
Maybe I'll clear the code (evap leak) and see what happens.

#29 ·
On my '08, one keyfob starts it then shuts off after a few seconds of running and my other fob honks once and doesn't start. My guess ever since my check engine light came on my remote start hasn't worked properly.
Maybe I'll clear the code (evap leak) and see what happens.
Engine codes will cause it to shut down after cranking, no matter how minor.

The times I had remote start issues it was either:
  • Panic button had been hit
  • Had been pocket started by accident several times already
  • Engine light was on
  • Door/trunk/hood was open
  • Battery was low
  • That time my wife's fob decided it didn't want to work for several months
  • Fuel pump relay in the TIPM was failing
And for those suggesting such, parking brake is not required and I've always had my dashcam plugged into my ignition activated power port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.