The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Passenger Squib Circuit Open

59K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  howardc64 
#1 ·
I had my airbag light on for about 3 months. Every once in a while the light would go off for about 3-5 min and then come back on. I finally took the van to my mechanic to have the code read. During my search for solutions to 'Passenger Squib Circuit Open' I came across a post where someone disconnected and cleaned the connection to the passenger airbag. So I thought I'd give it a try. I followed all airbag precautions (disconnect and isolate negative terminal to battery; let capacitors discharge for min of 2 minutes). Next I dropped the glove box and found the connection. The connector has a locking mechanism on it and once removed came apart fairly easily. I cleaned the both parts of the connector with MAF cleaner (safe on plastics), let them dry and reconnected. Put everything back together and so far its been 4 days and 150 miles of no airbag light (knock on wood).

#2 ·
I had a similar issue with my 2002 T&C. I had taken it to the dealer 2 times and they fixed it but the issue returned after a few months. It would be off when cold but on when warm. The 3rd time I fixed it myself after finding the correct connector (as you have) by cleaning and tapping the prongs down a little bit to make a better connection in the connector. So far no more problems with the airbag light.

Sam

#3 ·
Had this exact problem on my 2002 T&C. Also found a link where a tech said dealer service techs often twist the connector 180 degrees to fix it but it comes back eventually. The tech suggested airbag replacement (need to pull the dash) which seems excessive to replace a poor connection.

Here is a note on my diagnostic path. Ruled out the crash sensor connection since its sealed under the center console and out of the elements on this car. Tested the clockspring and found that was good and finally got to this connector and bingo.. found the problem.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/49633-Fixed-SRS-light-how-to-check-clockspring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.