The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

How often do ignition coils go bad?

10K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  Caraman99 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L (regular gas) with 93k miles on it.

I just wanted to know how often the ignition coil tends to go bad on this generation of minivans. My car isn't having any issues right now, but a spare ignition coil would be good to get the next time I order parts (if they have a tendency of going bad).

#3 ·
If ain't broke..........

I believe you can find a better way to spend your money.

To me, a spare ign. coil is not one of those things you must carry with you as an emergency spare part, and if you keep it in your garage as spare, then whehever you need it, you either will not find it, or you will be 100 miles away from home and will end up buying another one anyways.

#13 ·
You have a coil pack. It has 3 separate coils. You would likely loose a single one at a time, which would disable 2 cylinders and be noticeable but you could still get home. I think they partially fail first, missing sparks sometimes. The coil-pack in my 2002 3.8L failed. I could hear a faint clicking sound and clamping a timing lamp on each plug wire gave no flash from the two off the coil closest to the valve cover. Changing it fixed that. Spark usually misses first at slow speed w/ high throttle, like accelerating onto a freeway. That is where cylinder pressure is highest making spark jumping harder.

#18 ·
22 years and 215+K miles with original coil, plug wires, alternator, a/c compressor, PS pump and on and on.

Years ago I would buy spare parts just to have on hand. Don't ever recall using them. They turned into gifts for the next owner.

#41 ·
Hey Jeepman, u ever seen a fountain/bubbler? Maybe LEVY drinking really bad water...? And what with the pantyhose theory?
I've never been wearing pantyhose when I needed them!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.