The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Broken clockspring--is this a recall item? anyone reported this to NHSTA?

41K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  fredandrana 
#1 · (Edited)
I seem to have a broken clockspring (intermittent failure of horn & cruise control now permanent; airbag light on). This was apparently a recall item on the 3rd generation minivans. My VIN does not produce a recall notice. Anyone had any experience with this problem, and especially, did anyone have any luck getting Chrysler to cover the repair? Has anyone reported it yet to NHSTA? It seems like it should again be a recall item. Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thanks everyone. This issue is not listed yet as a recall item from whatI can tell, but I was hoping some of you had already been down this road and tried to get dealers/chrysler to cover it anyway. I decided to report it to NHTSA as not having a horn or airbags is clearly a safety concern; once on that site I discovered that a number of other 2001 owners had already reproted it as well, so maybe as reprots accumulate teh pressure on Chrysler will lead to them taking some responsibility for this. I came across several threads hereabouts with instructions on how to change out the closkspring oneself, but I am reluctant to attempt any repair that might compormise the airbags (would rather preserve the opportunity to sue the dealer later if they muck it up!).

#8 ·
what year is your minivan? I know mine is a 98 and it showed the clock spring recall but my clockspring is fine so far. I would go back to that sight and print out the recall and take it to the dealership in your area and have it fixed. with the clockspring that's something that you want done by the dealership because if not done correctly that effects your airbags. That's not something to mess around with. Take from someone who has totalled a 96 plymoth voyager with both airbags deployed just last year.

#9 ·
Here is the info I found for the recall. I hope it helps.

Number:B24 Date:11/01/2002
November, 2002

Safety Recall No. B24 - Clockspring/Lifetime Warranty

Effective immediately, all repairs on involved vehicles are to be performed according to this recall. Technical Service Bulletin 08-011-02 is being cancelled for 1996 through 1998 model year vehicles.

Models:

1996-1998 (NS) Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan, Plymouth
Voyager/Grand Voyager and Chrysler Town & Country

NOTE:
This recall applies only to the above vehicles built through February 28, 1998 (MDH 0228XX).

IMPORTANT:
Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.

Subject:

The clockspring on about 1,475,000 of the above vehicles may lose the electrical connection to the steering wheel mounted electrical connection. This could cause the driver's airbag, horn and/or speed control (if equipped) to be inoperative. An inoperative driver's airbag will not deploy, which can result in increased injury to the driver in a frontal crash.

Repair

Vehicles with a failed clockspring or vehicles with 70,000 miles or LESS, must have the clockspring assembly replaced.

Vehicles with more than 70,000 miles that have a properly functioning clockspring do NOT require any repair action. Vehicles involved in this recall have a lifetime warranty on the clockspring assembly.

NOTE:
This recall does NOT include replacement of other airbag system components. If other components cause illumination of the airbag warning light, the associated repair costs are the owner's responsibility.

Parts Information

Dealers should determine which clockspring is required for each vehicle at the time appointments are scheduled to assure that the correct part is available when the customer arrives. The clockspring for the vehicle to be serviced may be determined by:

> Using the part code in the third column of the VIN list along with the table shown (involved dealers);

> Using the VIN and part number list electronically transmitted to DIAL System Function 53 (involved dealers); or

> Entering the VIN into DIAL VIP System (sales code information) along with the table (all dealers):

Note:
Sales Code NHM is for Speed Control.

Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced will receive TWO (2) Clockspring Assemblies to service vehicles equipped with speed control and ONE (1) Clockspring Assembly to service vehicles without speed control. Additional clockspring assemblies may be ordered as necessary.

Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DIAL System. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use one of the labor operation numbers and time allowances shown.

Add the cost of the clockspring assembly plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.

NOTE:
See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.

Parts Return

Not required.

Dealer Notification and Vehicle List

All dealers will receive a copy of the dealer recall notification letter by first class mail. Two additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS, and the MDS2 will be updated to include this recall in the near future. Each dealer to whom involved vehicles were invoiced will receive a list of their involved vehicles. The vehicle list is arranged in Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) sequence. Owners known to DaimlerChrysler are also listed. The lists are for dealer reference in arranging for service of involved vehicles.

Dial System Function 53 and VIP

All involved vehicles have been entered to DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP for dealer inquiry as needed.

Function 53 provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The customer name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from Function 53 within several days of repair claim submission. To use this system, type "53" at the "ENTER FUNCTION" prompt, then type "0RDB24"

Owner Notification and Service Scheduling

All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A copy of the owner letter is included.

Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification Form. The involved vehicle and recall are identified on the form for owner or dealer reference as needed.

Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing approaches for this recall. This repair does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a DaimlerChrysler Mobile Service approved repair

Vehicles Not Available

If a vehicle is not available for service, let us know by filling out the pre-addressed Owner Notification Form or describe the reason on a postcard and mail to:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
CIMS 482-00-85
800 Chrysler Drive East
Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326-2757

Additional Information

#10 ·
Alas, mine is a 2001. I called Chrysler Customer Service hoping to get an authorization for repair (never hurts to ask) and register a complaint at least, but all that gets you is a chance to talk to someone with a heavy accent who reads from a script and has no authority to authorize anything--big waste of time. Told me I'd have to pay a dealer to diagnose the problem and then submit it for possible reimbursement; not much help when I'm trying to find out if Chrysler will pay for it, as if they won't I wont be using a dealer for the repair.

#11 ·
Perhaps going to a Dealer will work. If they need work they may be able to work it under a warranty (hidden or otherwise) of some sort. One can always ask. The worst they can say is "no".
Clock spring problems occur among other manufacturers as well. They have them in their warehouses. Try a manufacturer and the words "clock spring" in a Google search.

#14 ·
A little something to add on this subject, even though I realize it is an old thread. I bought a used 2000 Chrysler Voyager several years ago, and had the whole clockspring/airbag/horn issue pop up after a few years of owning it. I brought it to the dealer for a transmission issue...I blew my shift solenoid...and casually mentioned that I had seen that there was a recall on the clockspring, and that I had that issue. The dealer, who never does ANY free repairs unless they have to, fixed it completely for free, even though it was long out of warrany. My advice is to print out the recall notice, if possible, and bring it in with you to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.