The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Can I drain the tank on my 94 caravan using the valve on the fuel rail?

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Christ 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm putting a fuel pump in my 94 caravan and notice I can't get a tube for siphoning into the tank - is there a screen or something blocking that?

Anyway - I thought about using the fuel rail (my pump works intermittently) schrader valve - anybody ever pull the center valve device out? It looks like the valve that is in a tire stem.....

Or - other suggestions that don't involve getting under the damn thing as I'm looking at a driveway covered with snow (and want the full tank of fuel now, as I could use the gas for my Christmas travel) :beerchug:

John
Indiana

#2 ·
How do you plan on changing out your fuel pump without getting under the van and dropping the tank?
How much fuel is in your tank?
What size of hose are you trying to siphon with?

#3 ·
Yep you can. Remove the inner valve parts, lightly clamp a hose on the stem to minimize leakage and pump it into a clean bucket. I hope you can get the pump going to do it. It should only take a few minutes as it pumps quickly when under no pressure.

#4 ·
I suppose driving it until low is out.

#5 ·
You need a valve core puller, you can get them from tire shops. Remove the schrader valve in the pressure port, clamp a hose to the threaded section, and run it into an approved container.

When you turn the key on, it will flow into the container, rather quickly. Keep an eye on it so that you can turn the key off before it flows out of the container and contaminates the ground.

#6 ·
You will probably have to jump the fuel pump relay to keep it going. Or keep cycling the key off and on.

#7 ·
Status

Good news everyone! (futurama)

The schrader valves on our beloved gen II CVans is a standard inlet size and any tire valve remover will pull the core out.

The cheapest clear hose at home depot or menards is $2.99 for 10 feet, and it fits the nipple outlet perfectly.

It does NOT run out quickly (in my case) and takes several minutes per gallon.

Is there a shop standard on flow rate? I don't have a pressure gauge nearby, but this pump sounds labored at time (humming goes up and down) but don't fear the process.

PS: By jumping 12V to the front pin of the fuel pump relay you achieve constant running.

#11 ·
Good news everyone! (futurama)

The schrader valves on our beloved gen II CVans is a standard inlet size and any tire valve remover will pull the core out.

The cheapest clear hose at home depot or menards is $2.99 for 10 feet, and it fits the nipple outlet perfectly.

It does NOT run out quickly (in my case) and takes several minutes per gallon.

Is there a shop standard on flow rate? I don't have a pressure gauge nearby, but this pump sounds labored at time (humming goes up and down) but don't fear the process.

PS: By jumping 12V to the front pin of the fuel pump relay you achieve constant running.
Your pump is dead. The sound should remain fairly constant, and it should achieve more than 100 lb/hr under no load. Gasoline is 6lb/gal, so around 16gal/hr or the equivalent of approx quart/min, and that's low.

#8 ·
A fuel line broke on the bottom of my van once and it seemed to pump a few gallons per minute all over the ground. Your new pump will probably do the same amount of flow.

#9 ·
Pumping the gas out is fine, providing the fuel pump isn't dead, which may be the reason you are changing it to begin with. I had to do this with my '94 T&C, and emptied the tank by siphoning. It's not easy to get a line into the tank, but it can be done. I used flexible clear plastic line, as mentioned above, and admittedly had to work some to do it it, but I was able to get the line in and empty the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.