The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Alternators?

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mistypotato 
#1 ·
I know that my alternator will be toast sooner or later if it isn't toast already.

I'd just like to be one step ahead by trying to figure out which alternators have proven reliable for a 3.8 3rd gen?

On my DSM and GVR4, only the factory Denso proves reliable overall from what I have seen. If you buy one from say Autozone it has a 50% chance of not working right out of the box.

I obviously don't want this if the same applies to our 3rd gen/3.8 vans.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 ·
My 1994 alt lasted 280k, it's the same part # as a gen 3 with the 120 amp unit. I replaced it with the cheapest unit Advance auto had in stock A tough one brand. After over 40k it still works fine.

Reactions: 4_cars
#3 ·
Replaced the alternator in our Limited (3.8 high output amperage) with a Worldwide reman unit from Advance over 2 years ago and still working problem-free.

#4 ·
Replaced the original alternator after about 185K. Hard to find a NOS part so most all now days are rebuilt. Average of one in every 12 rebuilds will have some problem just for the fact rebuild by humans. Dosen`t really matter on brands as much as the luck of the draw getting a good one, cheaper parts work fine. Original replacement failed after three months, :Wow1: (cost inc core charge $212)...battery indicator light kept coming on...tested said dioades failed, under warranty \ replaced free...after installing second alternator tested again...code said diodes failed...same code as read on first replacement. Very difficult to think I actually had two back to back bad alternators...in my case may have wiring problem somewhere from alternator and where the wires dissapear in the compartment because still reads diodes failed and its the second one installed...replacement alternator is working fine and if mine is wiring problem and indicator light come back on...its always a pain to pin point wiring problems...as for brands finding NOS parts first choice...but locating NOS can be time consuming...then its a crap shoot if your rebuilt is problem free...:bcyclop:

#5 ·
Can anyone tell me if this is an OEM alternator? It says Denso on it and I associate Denso with Japanese cars but who knows.

First part is: 04727325AA (looks very Chrysler to me)

Second part is: TN121000-4330 (Looks very Denso to me).

My googling shows it being a 90 Amp but with stuff like this its always hard to tell what is going on! None of this stuff matches up with Denso's website either:

http://www.densoautoparts.com/find-my-part/vehicle-selection

Thanks

#6 ·
#9 ·
I'm at 298K, third alternator. The first OEM one went at around 145K if I recall. Put in an Autozone unit. That lasted until about 275K ish. The current one I bought from Oreilly. No issues so far.

#10 ·
i just had alternator out, replaced the brushes. bearings were good.
from research online, most of the time that is all that is needed is replace brushes, check bearings.

i did find out the alternator on my van i believe is the original unit, 120A, Denso Family 120HS, TN121000-4161.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.