ac evaporator leaks water into cabin [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: ac evaporator leaks water into cabin

dylan
06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi,

My recently purchased 03 Dodge Grand Caravan with 52000 miles leaks ac water onto the passenger floor.
Is this water being "blown back into the cabin" while driving from the drain tube exit?

The drain exit is a short plastic piece that extends through the firewall. Is this piece supposed to have a length of hose on it. Because it doesn't.

Thanks dylan

Mo T&C
06-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Don't know about the GC but my Toyota 4-Runner did this and all I had to do was shoot some compressed air back through the drain hole and it cleared. Hope yours is as easy.

dylan
06-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I will try this out when it stops raining. I have a compressor handy.
Thanks for the good idea.

AMD Rules
06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
There's a tsb on this. The drain tube needs to exit the firewall properly. If they don't, they leak. I forget the details.

I don't have the fsb details handy but others might. Alternatively....try searching the history in these forums. It has definitely been discussed before.

thefrugals
07-04-2006, 11:53 PM
NUMBER: 24-008-02
GROUP: Heating & A/C
DATE: Aug. 12, 2002
SUBJECT:
HVAC Drain Water Leaks Under Passenger Side Carpet
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a HVAC drain hose.
MODELS:
2001 - 2002 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2001 - 2002 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN MAY 14, 2001 (MDH 0514XX) AND OCTOBER 1, 2001 (MDH 1001XX)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a wet front passenger floor or floor carpet. This condition may be due to water (A/C condensate) from the HVAC assembly drain tube.
DIAGNOSIS:
Inspect for the source of the water leak. Determine that the passenger side of the front floor carpet is wet because of air conditioning condensate from the HVAC drain tube. As A/C condensate leaves the HVAC drain tube, it may run back along the outside of the drain tube, past the seal, and under the passenger side of the front floor carpet. If the HVAC assembly drain tube is the cause of the water leak, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Disconnect the inlet air temperature sensor.
3. Loosen the clamp and remove the inlet hose from the throttle body (leave the other end attached to the air cleaner housing cover).
4. Remove the air cleaner housing cover.
5. Inspect the HVAC drain tube. Clean out any debris or other restrictions in the drain.
6. Install the HVAC drain hose onto the HVAC drain tube, making sure the outlet on the drain hose is pointing straight down.
NOTE: INSURE THE DRAIN HOSE IS INSTALLED SO THE CLAMP ON THE DRAIN HOSE IS BEYOND THE SLOT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE DRAIN TUBE AND TIGHT UP AGAINST THE DASH PANEL.
7. Install the air cleaner housing cover.
8. Attach the inlet hose to the throttle body and tighten clamp.
9. Reconnect the inlet air temperature sensor.
10. Reconnect the battery.
11. Set the clock to the correct time.

AMD Rules
07-05-2006, 02:11 AM
thefrugals,

Thanks for posting that info. That is the tsb I had in mind.

duke_350
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Does anyone happen to have any pics showing this repair? I have a friend who has a 2005 he is having a hard time with it, and I haven't worked on a 2005, so its hard for me to walk him through it. Thanks in advance.

KCMike
01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I had this same problem on my '03 T&C. When I made the initial repair I bought a short piece of clear plastic tubing from the hardware store and slipped it over the existing drain. It worked fine, but a few weeks later I bought the Chrysler part and put it on. Attached is a picture I took of the factory drain over which you slip the drain tube extension. The original drain is hard plastic and yes, it does a slot in the bottom of it. (Don't have an "after" pic) I was able to put slide it on while laying under the van. Not easy, but doable. Make sure you slide it all the way on, to the end of the slot. Helps if you use some soap or something to lube the rubber extension tube. I now have a dry passenger-side floor. .>)
PS: There is a later TSB that says to use a rubber o-ring instead of the rubber tube extension, but I'll stick with the extender.

Sunvanse
01-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I also had this problem with my '01. Note the TSB only refers to 2001 vehicles, but if you just have a slotted pipe thru your firewall, you need the hose the TSB refers to. About $7.00 at the dealer. Very tight fitting hose with downward bend. Make sure hose bottoms out against firewall, or water will sneak into the slot on pipe.

Sunvanse
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Found the part #: **56000724AB** Hose, Evaporator Drain

Tony Wilson
06-21-2007, 03:08 AM
I had the wet floor problem on my 2002 Dodge grand caravan. I pulled the air filter cover to get better access to the drain. I found a rat had eaten off part of the drain tube that extends through the firewall. I split a short piece of 3/4 PVC pipe with a hacksaw and put it over the damaged extension. I calked over the area of leaking inside and out with house calking. if the pipe runs back and still leaks I will glue a pvc elbo onto the short pipe.It is hard to get to but is still fairly easy. I usually hang a bar of rat poison inside of my engine compartment on a piece of bailing wire but I thought the caravan was driven too much.... not so!

chicago
07-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I used part number 56000724AB as posted on my 03 tc worked like a charm highly recommended.drain located top pass side of fire wall.

Lanaki
07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
i concur! installing this factory rubber elbow (part #56000724AB, hose, evaporator drain) does the trick. $7.00 from the dealer and fairly easily installed. make sure your engine is cool though! i found it best to install from under the vehicle and lubricating the hose opening with some dish soap. force it all the way so that it is flush with the firewall.

shipo
07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
What I don't get is where are all of the factory elbows going? The big elbow graveyard in the sky? Both our Gen 3 and our Gen 4 van came with elbows from the factory, and yet I cannot tell y'all how many times I've heard from folks (both here and on other boards) who've cured their wet carpet problems by buying an elbow from their dealer and pushing it on.

Could it be that most (if not all) wet carpet issues (front passenger foot well only) are related to missing elbows and not ascribable to cabin pressure as previously mentioned? My bet is yes, and thought of trying to use cabin pressure to push out the condensate is just so much wishful thinking. :p

Lanaki
07-27-2007, 07:03 PM
it could be that the part tends to fall off after a couple years of use and exposure to the elements. perhaps the combination of very cold water coming through it and very hot air circulating around it causes the rubber to decompose and/or fall off after awhile. notwithstanding rats chewing it as suggested above.

expresso
07-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager van 3.3 and I have clear water running out of the A/C right over the accelator. I have looked underneath for the drain hose that I am reading about in these other messages, but have been unable to locate it. Can someone pinpoint where I should be looking for this hose? Drivers side / passenger side?

Lanaki
07-29-2007, 10:18 PM
passenger side, upper firewall, behind the alternator.

bwinkler
07-29-2007, 11:03 PM
I bought the supposed AC drain hose from the dealer and tried to fit it on the '03 this past weekend. After wrestling with it for a few minutes and limited space, I even added some soap to help ease it on the plastic outlet still to no avail because of the rather long missing section from the cylindrical shape of the outlet still leaks water.

I took a rough measurement of the missing section compared to the tapered length of hose, the hose is shy of coving the entire pipe. I'd almost need to hack off a little bit of the outlet pipe to make this work. :angrya:

Lanaki
07-31-2007, 08:39 PM
brian,

there is a slot in the drain, is this the "missing section" you refer to? the drain hose i installed completely covered that slot and then fit tight up against the firewall. i could then witness all the water draining properly from the a/c and onto the garage floor.

bwinkler
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
brian,

there is a slot in the drain, is this the "missing section" you refer to? the drain hose i installed completely covered that slot and then fit tight up against the firewall. i could then witness all the water draining properly from the a/c and onto the garage floor.

Yes, the missing section of the outlet is longer than the spec drain hose. The tapered portion of the drain hose can attest to this. I scraped the idea using it, instead I bought a 12" piece of 5/8" heater hose. After using soap to get to sit somewhat flush with the firewall, I used a tie strap to cinch it.

I hope this fixes it. I'll give it a couple weeks to see if the carpet is still wet.

government_cheez
10-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I started googling just this morning because my passenger side floorboard was drenched. I went online and found that Advance Auto had a similar part to what you all listed in stock, came home and slipped it on, and BINGO no more water through my firewall.

I know it has been some time since the last post on this topic, but I am grateful it was here for my education. Thanks again!!!

Ron :beerchug:

Jim01
09-07-2008, 02:45 AM
From the passenger compartment I could see the water leaking underneath the foam rubber gasket that seals the firewall opening around the drain tube. It seems that it looses its seal against the firewall after awhile allowing the condensation to be blown past the foam rubber gasket back into the passenger compartment where it flows down to the floor and is absorbed by the carpet.

My fix was to cut a small piece of 3/8” dense foam rubber (about 2” by 2” ) and punch out a 5/8” hole in the middle. I made a little slit in the hole to fit over the brace on the upper left of the drain tube. Working from the top of the van with the air cleaner cover/hose removed, the foam rubber fit tightly over the tube and tightly into the firewall opening against the old rubber gasket. It is glued in place with generic adhesive. I’ve included a few pictures of the completed fix.

BTW, for reference, a picture of the drain tube mentioned previously can be found here (http://www.tmar.net/ac_drain_tube.htm).

widadli
09-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I had the same problem in my 03 Voyager. I purchased the drain tube mentioned in this thread p/n 56000724AB. The large end that attaches to the current drain line was too short. I did, however, manage to get it all the way against the firewall with a little twisting and elbow grease. Now the water drains normally with no leaking in the passenger cabin. Thanks guys!!

dbent366
09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I was having trouble locating where the drain tube came out of the cabin. You guys helped me find that and a solution to the problem. Just installed the elbow on an 02 town and country now hopefully no more wet carpet!
Thanks again

Daniel

streetofgold
09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I bought the part from the Dodge dealership that was listed here to fix the wet passenger floor. I installed it and drove to St. Louis and the floor was wet again. Help does anyone have the answer?

Mgallia
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks to all of you and this site, I thought I was the only one with this problem in my 05 Grand Caravan.

struggle
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Our van did this same thing and when we were visitiing my father inlaw his 03 was doing it as well. Another thing a person can do is just seal the area shut with silicone and dab some off the end of the drain and the water will follow it and drip like it is supposed to. THe issue is the water runs back along the drain tube in between the fire wall and the A/C box. If you seal the area of the box and fire wall it cures it as well.

andrew
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Why would the geniuses at Chrysler put a SLOT in the bottom of the drain tube????????
(I guess so they can sell you a $7 rubber elbow that is near impossible to put on!)

Miron
08-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Why would the geniuses at Chrysler put a SLOT in the bottom of the drain tube???????? (I guess so they can sell you a $7 rubber elbow that is near impossible to put on!)

Somebody suggested in another thread that is recommended to turn off your AC a few minutes before you stop the car and instead just set the air blower at maximum speed to eliminate all the water from the evaporator... is this idea connected to this thread?
It looks like after you stop the engine the drain flow of remained water becomes smaller and smaller (loss of pressure) and the water starts going along the firewall and back into the car if you lost that elbow... am I wrong? :)

fossil2
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I chased the cause for about four months. replaced the condensate tube twice to no avail. there is a blower vent under the front seat. the wife had plastic shopping bags stuffed under the seat and it apparently was causing condensation somewhere in the blower lines and it was backing up into the cabin. fixed the problem. got rid of wife.

hbar
11-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I just bought an '03 from a friend. Perfect van, except for this. I just bought the part from Chrysler for $6 and change.

Does the rib on the tube not cause a problem? I guess not, since everyone says it solves their problem. Waiting for the engine to cool down so I can get in there. Fingers crossed.

painterman
03-15-2011, 04:20 PM
does anybody know where the location of the a/c hose is on a 99 dodge grand caravan. I have checked quite a bit and cant locate yet. I have a wet passenger floor and cleaned out debris from the rain trough drains but still water is pouring in from behind the glove box. Any help appreciated.

mick1954
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I've seen many responces to the water leak on the passanger side carpet.
I would like to add one more thing to look at if all else fails.
I put the extension on the drain from the fire wall but still had condensation on the floor on very humid days.
I did not want to remove the dash to discover the real problem, so I did the next best thing. I got my little Dremmel out with a cut off wheel and removed a small section of plastic from under the evaporator. (condensate drain)
Guess what I found....
The factory has a design problem or they just forgot to remove the insulation from the bottom side of the evaporator.
I removed it for them.
If the insulation is left on the evaporator, condensation will not slip past the plastic drain pan sides. Water WILL run out any place it can find. Out the cabin filter slot maybe, like mine did.
After all was repaired I used some epoxy to re-fix the plastic piece I removed for the inspection.

Rob8888
04-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Our '01 T&C had also the passenger floor getting wet and i dont know where the water came from. thanks for the repair info. i will take a look where the leak is.

jlig
07-09-2011, 01:06 PM
To all of us who suffer (or have suffered) from the "van damp syndrome (VDS)" here is yet another suggestion to resolve this issue..

I have a 2003 Chrysler T&C w/120,000 miles which continually soaked the passenger carpet after 1) heavy A/C use, 2) heavy rains, or 3) simply washing the van!
As most of you VDS sufferings know, it's impossible to keep drying the carpet every few weeks, spraying lysol to kill mold, and/or holding your feet up when driving.. was taking a real toll on my wife & family as well as any "joy" in driving the van.

My solution has been three-fold:
1) Clean out the three drains under the hood. (The two from the wiper assembly, and the small hose from the firewall)
2) Install the rubber elbow pipe onto the A/C Evaporator drain spout (Used a 5/8" rubber elbow from O'Reillys)
3) Build & install a black drain box underneath the fan assembly (a saftey in case there is a failure in #1)

I took some 1/8" black plastic from an old case, added a drain plug to the bottom, and attached it just below the fan housing under/inside the glove compartment (see pictures below)
I then ran the drain hose behind the trim & carpet, and down to the floor drain under the passenger molding.

During our last heavy rain, our carpets were dry.. (not because of my new drain box.. but because I had cleaned out the three drains listed above)
But in case those drains clog (which they will), and fail (like they have done countless times in the past) I will hopefully still have dry carpet because of my drain box.

- http://cerberus.clearwave.com/jerry/DrainBox-20110703-1301.jpg
- http://cerberus.clearwave.com/jerry/DrainBox-20110703-1302.jpg
- http://cerberus.clearwave.com/jerry/DrainBox-20110703-1303.jpg
- http://cerberus.clearwave.com/jerry/DrainBox-20110703-1304.jpg

Thanks and good luck,
Jerry

painterman
07-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help on here. It took me a while to locate the ac evap pipe but once i found it i pulled of the l shaped rubber hose and used a wire to unblock the pipe. Seems to have worked fine for months now. I havent re attached the hose and again no water problems since. Thanks again

mmahamm
07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I had installed a heater hose with an elbow on it, using a hose clamp. I had cut a slit in the top of the hose, to mate to the tab on the top of the condensation drain. I was pretty sure it was snug, and past the slot on the bottom of the drain. But alas, the next week, the carpet was wet again.

My second line of defense has been to seal up the entire opening around the condensation drain with silicone. I used white, because I wanted it to be visible. I also coated the end of the hose with some silicone and reinstalled it, again snugging it up with a hose clamp. I believe that has solved the problem. It was hard to reach, even with the airbox off, so I'm not 100% sure. If I get a wet carpet again, I will probably take the wipers and intake plenum off to get a better shot at it from above, and apply more silicone and possibly some putty.

ram68
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have an '05 Grand Caravan SXT. Passenger side floorboard is wet. The problem comes and goes. I did two things based on advice in this forum. (1) I used a compressor to blow out the discharge tube. (2) I installed a 14" piece of 5/8" brake hose. It comes spooled at your local auto parts store.

What I discovered is trying to install the hose onto the discharge tube is the biggest challenge. The spaces are very small. I tried from above and from below. Ultimately, I came in from below. I also found that getting enough leverage to slide the hose onto the tube is difficult. I tried using dish detergent, which was somewhat helpful. I could only get the hose part way on using detergent. Finally, I decided to cut a slit in the top of the hose, which allowed me to slide it almost all the way to the firewall. I definitely covered the little slit in the bottom of the tube. I then used a cable tie to secure the hose to the discharge tube. The hose now hangs down at an angle that will easily allow the discharge tube to drain. I noticed some drainage even before I finished the job.

Since I'm going on a 10-day road trip I decided this was the easiest fix for the time being. when I come back, I'll probably check the integrity of my home remedy and, if it's not working, I'll go buy the $7 part. Thanks again for the help.

levelbest
07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Well, I too have this issue and just ordered the $6 part from the dealer. Took up the mats yesterday to install an XM radio wire and found the wet spot on the passenger side. Will install tomorrow and see how things go. Lovin' this forum guys! Incredibly helpful info!

charlieb
07-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Many thanks for a most helpful forum. I have tolerated this leaking problem for a year or so. By using this forum I discovered the part name, part #, and the solution to my problem. Thank you again. It will make my wife happy. Happy wife- happy life! charlie b

jlig
07-28-2012, 02:44 PM
From my experience, you need to use silicone before sliding on the hose..

I installed my "L" shaped hose and it fixed the AC wetness for almost a year, then it started happening again.. (moisture was once again dribbling thru the firewall to the carpet)

I took off the hose, cleaned the ends good, then applied black silicone to the spout end and a small layer on the "outside end" of the "L" hose. (this created two seals, one around the spout, the other against the firewall/hose end itself..)

Happy to report that our carpets have been dry since..
- AC has run continuously on these very hot days.. perfectly dry!
- Have drove multiple 10~12 hour trips with AC on.. perfectly dry!

cdjackson
05-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I had the same issue and found that water was running out the poorly designed tube back into the passenger area through the firewall. Pulling up the carpet revealed the source.

I added an "L" shaped rubber hose to the outside plastic drain tube and secured with a hose clamp. A bad location, but taking off the air filter unit made it feasible without full removal of the AC. All work was done in the engine area, not inside the van (except to dry out carpet).

8242 8250 8258 8266

Took on test drive and now I have a water puddle under the van (as expected) and no water inside.

Miron
06-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Happy to report that our carpets have been dry since..
- AC has run continuously on these very hot days.. perfectly dry!
- Have drove multiple 10~12 hour trips with AC on.. perfectly dry!

I never had this problem but the basic carpet (first layer stick on the floor from the factory) is getting wet when the removable pad is there regardless the AC... if I remove the pad, the carpet it is always dry... so I presume it is dampness... I am wondering why is this happening only on passenger side? Maybe because the middle muffler is located under that area?

david_jr
07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
I found our passenger side carpet wet the other day after an excessive downpour on the overnight. I will be checking out the drains thanks to all the posters in this thread and forum.

Miron
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
I found our passenger side carpet wet the other day after an excessive downpour on the overnight. I will be checking out the drains thanks to all the posters in this thread and forum.

Basically, this thread is about AC leaks... nothing to do with rain... but you should check the rest of the forum! Good luck!

david_jr
07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
I thought I read that some posters had water on the carpet from both from rain and when using the A/C with it entering at the same location. I do apologize.

Miron
07-25-2013, 03:07 PM
I thought I read that some posters had water on the carpet from both from rain and when using the A/C with it entering at the same location. I do apologize.

There is no need to apologize... but I don't think that you would find your answer on this thread.