What do these codes mean P1684 and P0700 [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: What do these codes mean P1684 and P0700

kenfromtn
08-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi Group,

2001 Dodge Caravan with 40,000 miles, 3.3L V6 non-flex, 4 speed auto, I
bought this vehicle new. The check engine light just came on Thursday
7/30/03, we just got back from a vacation in Florida last Sunday. I used the
ignition key to obtain the codes in the odometer read out. It flashed codes
P1684 and P0700, anyone know what these mean? My Haynes manual does not list a code for P1684, for P0700 it says "An automatic transmission input DTC has
been set in the transmission controller. Refer to Group 21." What ever that
all means, It doesn't sound good, I'm hoping it is not going to be very
expensive to fix as I don't have an extended warranty.

Thanks for your help,
Ken

kenfromtn
08-02-2003, 05:14 PM
I have an update after doing some searching out on the web.

I found these on the following web site
http://www.ptcruizer.com/computer-codes.html

700 The automatic transmission computer or Aisin computer has a
problem - ask it what's going on. I don't know.

The wife hit a deer a few months ago on the drivers side front fender at
35,000 miles, there was not a lot of damage, and we had the van fixed at a
GM dealership (they are suppose to be the best in town for body damage), and
they did a good job and we did not have any problems up until now. In the
Haynes manual it says the transmission control module is located behind the
inner splash shield in the front left side wheel well. Could this code just
now be showing up, because of the accident? Or because they had to
disconnect the module to do the repairs? Or is it not related to the
accident at all?

1684 The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.

We have had to start up more then 50 times since the battery would have been
disconnected during the accident repair. So why would this code being
showing up all of a sudden? This was the only time the battery would have
been disconnected.

Thanks, Ken

DSMLVR
08-03-2003, 08:18 AM
<<1684 The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.>>

IF for some reason the battery gets run down or low voltage for even just one start (maybe a long crank on a start up), can cause the same thing. If your battery is marginal or getting ready to go out, can do the same thing. It does NOT just mean battery disconnected.

kenfromtn
08-03-2003, 07:14 PM
<<<IF for some reason the battery gets run down or low voltage for even just one start (maybe a long crank on a start up), can cause the same thing. If your battery is marginal or getting ready to go out, can do the same thing. It does NOT just mean battery disconnected.>>>>

Thanks for the input, I guess we will have to keep on eye on the battery, we have not had any problems with it so far and we have had no hard starts.

The P0700 code is the one I&#39;m most concerned with, I was hoping to hear something on this code. Is it OK to continue to drive the van or should it be parked until I can afford to pay the big bucks to bring in into the Dodge dealer? (we have been hit with layoffs, pay cuts, forloughs, etc at work so money is tight right now) We have not drove it since the check engine light came on Thursday. It drives OK, there does not apear to be a problem at all, but the check engine light has us very concerned. We don&#39;t want to cause any more damage to the tranny, if that is what the code means we are doing.

Thanks again,

Ken

DSMLVR
08-04-2003, 07:52 AM
I have a 2001 van and we got it March 01. In May 03, the battery went out. I mean, it just quit. It was a bad cell. Bad/defective batterys can drive you crazy.

Concerning your other problem, IF the van was in an accident recently and damaged in the area you expect the trouble is coming from, call your insurance person. The estimator/repair shop may have missed this and/or a wire may have been damaged or loosened in the accident or during the repair. If any welding was done in the area, the module MAY have been damaged. Call your insurance and see if a followup repair is possible. If they say NO, call the repair shop (without tell them the insurance said NO ) and ask them if a follow up check/repair is possible because of your problem and thier past repairs. You might have to fudge abit and tell them it has been acting up alot earlier but not as bad and you didn&#39;t think about the wreck causing it.
GOOD LUCK

kenfromtn
08-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Ok Group,

I have an update on these codes. And I am not a happy Dodge Caravan owner right now.

1684 - means the battery was disconnected, but I already knew that. No Problem here.

0700 - This is the problem code. We took the van back to the GM dealer that did the accident repair. They verified and got the same codes that I did. They seemed to think it may have been related to the transmission controller that may have been damaged in the accident, maybe a broken wire or a crack in the housing of the controller. They took the van to the Chrysler dealer right across the street from them. After 3 days of the van talking with the computer in their shop it was determined that the front pump is bad and that the torque converter is bad. Nothing to do at all with the accident. I went and got the van and took it to the Dodge dealer where we bought the van, The Dodge dealer is the one that has done all the warranty work and there has been a lot of warranty work done on this van. They got the same results as the Chrysler dealer after hooking it to their computer, only it took all of like 30 minutes. They say they have never seen this type of problem before. There is something like a fifth gear in the torque converter that locks in when the van is on the highway and the computer senses a steady speed over 55 miles per hour, this 5th gear will lock in and prevent any slipping in the torque converter clutches and reduce engine RPM to approx. 1500 RPM&#39;s giving you about 2 more miles per gallon on the highway. Anyways my torque converter is not doing this, the computer is sending the signal but the locking of the torque converter is not happening.

&#036;1600 dollars to fix it. I&#39;m out of the 3/36 warranty by 4000 miles and I bought the van about 4 months before Chrysler started the 7/70 power train warranty. The Dodge dealer is offering a 50/50 split on the bill. Since this is not related to abuse or neglect on my part.

So does this all sound right to any of you out there. I got the second opinion because it did not sound quite right to me. Hopefully the two dealers have not been talking to each other or my file is not already in the Chrysler database from the first dealer. The van drives great there is no slip in the transmission, no whiney noise. Does anyone&#39;s RPM&#39;s drop after you have been at highway speeds for awhile, I&#39;ve never noticed anything happening after the shift into overdrive 4th gear. But then again a never knew about this magic 5th gear.

Thanks for any help or input on this matter, Ken

ServiceManager
10-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Call Chrysler customer service &#33;
It is a little known fact that they will "extend" the warranty on a case by case basis. If not you may want to speak to the service department about buying a warranty now and bringing your car in once the warranty is in effect. Not totally ethical but it&#39;s a better bang for your money in the long run and the dealer that sells the Chrysler warranty still get a commission.

FYI - The dealer your car is at now most likely doesn&#39;t know what the other dealer did or didn&#39;t do. Chrysler&#39;s computer only shows warranty repairs.

JONB
10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I got the 0700 and limp mode... took it to the dealer, and it was said to be the solenoid shift pak. Had them do it... a thousand dollars and a week later same problem. They said it needed that anyway... I took it and had the transmission codes read out at a private shop - the transmission codes are different, and not readable through a standard code reader... 42 bucks. All the shift solenoids (4) were reading out as bad. Hmmm unlikely. I signed up for alldatadiy.com. Dug into it, and there is an eatx relay, as well as an eatx fuse. swapped the relay with a nearby relay for the fog lights... what do you know, the problem disappeared! One year later, same problem. Replaced it this time and it is good to go.

tony0707
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi what is an eatx relay-is it in the relay box in front of the driver-under the hood ? Please advise

tony0707
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi what was it that failed one year later-the relay-and you replaced it ? Want to be sure i understand thank you

RLMTEX51
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I was just reading up on the TCM operation and torque converter lock up for the 97 T&C (Alldata subscription).

When the dealer tested your van did they happen to take it out on the road?

Testing the torque converter operation involves more than hooking up the computer. It takes clearing the codes, attaching a pressure gauge,then road testing, taking voltage readings, ect........

Of course this is for a 97. Yours may be different.

But a code just means that there is something wrong with that system, learned the $$$ way. For the money I'd get a sub to Alldata and read upon the system and how it should be tested. Knowledge is power. Was the computer signal taken at the TCM or at the transmission?

The 50/50 offer is better than nothing. But I did have a Chevy dealer replace a transmission in a Lumina at no cost, they billed it to GM as "Customer Satisfaction"

tony0707
10-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi still waiting for answers to my prior questions--please----tony

BOB JIBBLETS
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Great info...Question...0700 code on my 2001 CARAVAN...I am going to try disconnecting the battery to get the service light out...BUT...I have been told by a knowledgeable person that even if the light does go out, the event will remain in the computer when you desire your next inspection...AND why should this affect your inspection...is this a safety issue...it does not appear as such to me, and my van runs and shifts just fine. Can one of you very generous knowledgeable folks give some input on this...BOB

otoole
12-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Driving home yesterday the van downshifted on its own and the check engine light came on. I assume that this is "limp mode". I limped home and did the key dance: codes 0700 and 1684 came up.

After some research on this form I decided to try to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery. There was more corrosion on the terminals than I had realized and one of the connections felt loose.

After cleaning both terminals and clamps and hooking the battery back up, she is running like a top again with no check engine light. :beerchug:

It there still a potential problem with the transmission? Is there anything that I can do for preventative maintenance?

thanks

Renegade1127
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
These vans are very fussy when it comes to the battery and the connectors at the PCM / BCM / relays / solenoids etc.

The margin between a good and bad connection seems to be pretty fine, and it doesn't take much to confuse the computers.

I've had various DTC's stored in my computer over the time I've owned the van. None of them actually proved to be a problem. Once I had to replace the battery, but otherwise the cure each time has been to clean/retighten the battery connections and disconnect/clean/reconnect the various connectors and relays.

Renegade1127
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi what is an eatx relay-is it in the relay box in front of the driver-under the hood ? Please advise

The eatx relay is the Transmission Control Relay, Located in the Power Distribution Centre, (or relay/fuse box) next to the battery.

On my '97 the eatx relay is on the left side of that box, third one up from the bottom.

wa3ra
12-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I've seen the 700 error, and it was NEVER the transmission. Did they just read the box, or did they clear the codes and see if they came back?

I have had one battery on its way out, one bad relay, and the third one was that the trans computer had a loose screw/star washer combo that was causing a bad ground at the TCM.

The battery was $84, the relay was $8, and a bigger screw and washer was under a buck. That transmission was still working fine 110K later when the van got hit...

MacG467
12-15-2009, 10:42 AM
The P700 code IS a transmission fault. It's common for the 41 and 42 L/T(E)transmissions to come up with this fault.

There are two sensors for the transmission input speed and output speed that need to be replaced. They are both located within close proximity of each other. The parts are cheap at NAPA or any other parts store.

leonlive
05-16-2012, 06:55 AM
The eatx relay is the Transmission Control Relay, Located in the Power Distribution Centre, (or relay/fuse box) next to the battery.

On my '97 the eatx relay is on the left side of that box, third one up from the bottom.
Hi.
I'm very extremely want to know your opinions!
Things happens:
3 day ago I have the same code. I have the corrosion in the battery, but after polished them about 20 meter the light is on and the "limp mode began". All another functions is ok. The power of second drive (I think that is second drive go normal of one maximum 120km). I have ordered the "Output sensor" and tomorrow will prove. Changed the relay for “A/C” to “EATX” in the box near battery, because they are the same.

I have bayed a 3 month ago from Germany a 54 000km Neon II with a little problem only: the light in baggage don’t work (since the lamp is ok.) The Neon is 2001 and is a USA version(Canada), now have 61000km. I changed the motor oil in one service but I don’t trust the mechanic who do that (they change my original mineral oil with a semi-synthetic oil type Castrol 2000 or similar, but not Mobil 1). However, the belt and water pomp is also changed to be sure that I will not have problem. The Transmission Oil remain original. It’s a “Pink” and smell good. Have enough (a little more than maximum). Have some gentle pull from 3-4 times but never go in “limp mode” that’s when I arrived here in Italy.
Now I'm in Italy, but near about 50 km I haven't here any support. The battery is about 12,64V, “MOPAR”, like all of that care.