Stow and Go Seat Comfort? [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: Stow and Go Seat Comfort?

Vision67
02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I am thinking about replacing my (124K miles) '97 Town and Country Lxi, but I am concerned about the comfort (or lack of) of the 2006 Stow and Go seats.

Those second row seats are weirdly shaped, and my now grown kids are young adults. Do any of you have this arrangement, and are the second row seats actually comfortable on long, e.g. 8 hour trips?

I may actually look for a used 2004 model instead. I really don't like stow and go seats because I just leave the 3rd seat stored in my garage and I prefer the full sizesecond row seats of my current van.

Comments?

FlamingGLH
02-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Personnally, I think the stow and go feature is comfortable enough.

I'm used to my leather interior in my 1998, but when I sat down at the dealer in the back seat of a Caravan, I was impressed.

I dunno if they changed the seats in the 2006 models, since the seats I sat down in at the Detroit Auto show were much more comfy than the 2005 model I tried... could've been that my lazy butt was more tired too... LOL

sellinghomes4u
02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
IMO the seats are just as comfy to sit in but don't look that way. So if you close your eyes you won't feel any difference.

Hokiefyd
02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
We drove a 2005 SXT (with Stow-N-Go) before we bought our 2003 Sport model. We did NOT like the comfort of the S-N-G seats, so you are not the only one. The seats are physically smaller (than the other quad seats) and if you sit in a S-N-G seat right after a standard quad bucket, you'll notice the quad seats have MUCH more side bolstering. They're exactly like the front seats, actually, which I think are VERY comfortable. By comparison, the S-N-G seat backs and bottoms are very flat and generally unconforming in our opinion.

Since we could not get a newer model optioned the way we wanted WITHOUT also getting Stow-N-Go (since it's standard on SXTs), we looked to an older model, and found our 2003. I have never come across a situation yet in which I really longed for Stow-N-Go. In fact, the regular setup works best for us because with the back row upright, the S-N-G vans leave a large "hole" or cargo well behind them. Nice to put stuff INTO, but we have a baby stroller that is a PERFECT size to lay FLAT on the floor after you fold it down. I mean, it fits EXACTLY...couldn't be any wider at the base. Anyway, this stroller would not fit this way in a S-N-G van because of the deep "hole" the 3rd row leaves behind when in use.

Just my opinion...

frontierdaze
02-02-2006, 10:16 PM
We have an 05 T/C. We traded an 01 Caravan hight top conversion and found the s-and-go seats as comfortable as the seats in the caravan. They do seem to be different than in the s-and-go caravan. We didn't find the caravan seats as comfortable. Last summer we took a 5K mile around the country and had a lot of seat time and found them both comfortable and very convenient for long trips. Good luck and check out th T/C

blupupher
02-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Biggest problem with the sng 2nd row (and third to an extent) is the headrests. Make sure you raise them up before sitting, or the seats are real uncomforatble. I really like the sng, especialy the storeage it gives you in front of the second row. Since I have 2 car seats, the 2nd row never gets folded down, so that is where I keep the emergency kit for the car, and the other side we use to put stuff in for trips ( great place to store extra diapers).
The "hole" behind the 3rd seat holds our stroller perfectly. I have been thnking about cutting a piece of wood to put over it and have a shelf.

Vision67
02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Thank you all for your quick responses.

I think I'll rent one for a weekend and drive enough to judge for myself.

marine1
02-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Renting one for a week would be a good idea. I have a 2005 DGC and I love it. The third row seats are a little narrower than normal bucket seats, but they are not uncomfortable unless you don't raise the head rests.

I love the fact that I can fold them flat and not have to take them out. But I also love those storage bins you have when the seats are up. I had a club cab pickup before and it always looked messy. I had no place to put things. I could get the battery cables and flashlight under the rear seat, but that's about all it would hold. I can put all kinds of stuff in this van and keep it all out of sight and it always looks neat and clean.

I usually fold one second row seat and keep the other up. It gives me lots of room to load big stuff in the side door and be able to tie it down with the seat hooks. It also makes it extremely easy for the wife to get up and walk all the way back to the rear seats. With the one second seat up, I have a furniture pad, tools, flash light, battery cables, can of fix a flat, rope and bungee cords in that storage bin. If I raised the other seat, I could easily get my 5" portable television and gobs of other stuff in it. This van is so family and work friendly, I just love it.

fubob
02-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Same concerns my kids are now grown teens 6ft or more and they find sto n go seats so comfortable they usually fall asleep on longer trips.

StuMiniVan
02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
We have had our 05 for over year and have put 27,000 miles on it. We have it on several tips one from VA to Maine and back. We have 3 teenagers. We have had no complaints on comfort in the S&G seats. We Love this Mini Van.

PTCarl
02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Renting one for a week would be a good idea. I have a 2005 DGC and I love it. The third row seats are a little narrower than normal bucket seats, but they are not uncomfortable unless you don't raise the head rests.

I love the fact that I can fold them flat and not have to take them out. But I also love those storage bins you have when the seats are up. I had a club cab pickup before and it always looked messy. I had no place to put things. I could get the battery cables and flashlight under the rear seat, but that's about all it would hold. I can put all kinds of stuff in this van and keep it all out of sight and it always looks neat and clean.

I usually fold one second row seat and keep the other up. It gives me lots of room to load big stuff in the side door and be able to tie it down with the seat hooks. It also makes it extremely easy for the wife to get up and walk all the way back to the rear seats. With the one second seat up, I have a furniture pad, tools, flash light, battery cables, can of fix a flat, rope and bungee cords in that storage bin. If I raised the other seat, I could easily get my 5" portable television and gobs of other stuff in it. This van is so family and work friendly, I just love it.

The ONLY people who complain about the lack of comfort in Stow'N Go 2nd row bucket seats appear to be jealous owners of the Odyssey.

I have enjoyed comments by marine1 in the Troll Hall...but I have been banned for life from participating in that Odyssey loving entity. Odd owners cried to the Hosts in Troll Hall when I defended DC minivan advantages and feel that almost all of the hosts in Troll Hall have a vendetta against DC minivans.

I think the 2nd row Stow'N Go bucket seats are VERY comfortable...but I don't like the 3rd row seating in Stow'N Go DC minivans. I agree with Odd owners that 3rd row Stow'N Go seating is not very comfortable. (For me, the seat bottom tilts too much.)

I prefer the 2nd and 3rd row seats of my 2002 T&C eL to Stow'N Go...but wish the 2nd row bucket seats in pre-Stow'N Go DC minivans had a fore and aft capability that the Odd and Sienna have had for many years.

dm3
02-10-2006, 10:18 PM
The ONLY people who complain about the lack of comfort in Stow'N Go 2nd row bucket seats appear to be jealous owners of the Odyssey.

I have enjoyed comments by marine1 in the Troll Hall...but I have been banned for life from participating in that Odyssey loving entity. Odd owners cried to the Hosts in Troll Hall when I defended DC minivan advantages and feel that almost all of the hosts in Troll Hall have a vendetta against DC minivans.

I think the 2nd row Stow'N Go bucket seats are VERY comfortable...but I don't like the 3rd row seating in Stow'N Go DC minivans. I agree with Odd owners that 3rd row Stow'N Go seating is not very comfortable. (For me, the seat bottom tilts too much.)

I prefer the 2nd and 3rd row seats of my 2002 T&C eL to Stow'N Go...but wish the 2nd row bucket seats in pre-Stow'N Go DC minivans had a fore and aft capability that the Odd and Sienna have had for many years.
I agree that the 2nd row stow-n-go seats are comfortable. They don't look comfortable, they look too small, but when sitting in them (after properly adjusting the headrest) they are surprisingly comfortable.

I also agree that the 3rd row seats are not as comfortable as they should be. The seat bottom is angled too much and I think the seat back is angled too much. It would be better if they let you make the seat back more upright. If you really sit in the 3rd row and lean back against the seat back, there's also very little headroom.

I don't know what the deal is with Sienna and Odyssey owners. Its ok to mention a Odyssey to a Sienna owner or vica versa. They always think both are ok. But mention a Chrysler van and they'll ridicule you out of their little discussion circle. Seems like its import worship. I dislike it when folks buy a vehicle because its American or because its an import instead of buying the vehicle that works best for them.