Sunroof [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: Sunroof

spartan0199
06-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Any comments pro or con on the factory option sunroof? Any changes you would like to see? Would anyone here consider a multipanel sunroof for a minivan (maybe a front panel that opens like current with a 2nd fixed glass panel for row #2...etc...)

Thanks

mmahamm
06-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Due to my lack of hair, I am not a big fan of sunroofs. I have never had a bad experience with one--as far as leaking, etc., but I almost never use one (my wife's car has one.) Too much noise and too much sun.

When I was shopping for minivans, I looked at the new Nissan Quest. One of the drawbacks for me was that most of the ones on the lot had the skylights, and I saw that as just another place for the summer heat to get in.

I want metal over my head personally, and no glass.

Hokiefyd
06-14-2005, 05:00 PM
As a former owner of a car with glass T Tops, I can definitely agree that the heat can get intense during the summer. Aside from that old Cutlass, I've never owned a car with a sunroof, so I don't know how that fabric shade that you can pull across really helps. Does a glass sunroof, even with the shade, allow more heat in or not? I don't know. In the south, summer heat is a big concern. Both of our vehicles are light in color with metal roofs. That's got to be about as good as it gets, save for installing limo tint.

jazztrumpet216
06-14-2005, 05:02 PM
I have to agree with mmahamm (except for the hair part). I have driven cars with sunroofs as loaners or whatever, and didn't find them to be any more or less useful than just opening a window. They're kinda cool to look up out of when you're a passenger... but I wouldn't pay hundreds of extra dollars for something I'd barely use. Just my $0.02.

Ian
06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Our former 2004 Mercedes had a sunroof and I liked it, but not more usefull than without a sunroof and it looks cool.

I think it looks cool on a minivan, I drove one when it first came out in 2003 on the Grand Caravan ES and found it pleasant to drive!

DSMLVR
06-14-2005, 10:10 PM
You could not get one on my Dodge Grand Caravan Sport when we got it in 2001. However I have on in my Pacifica and I LOVE IT.

grimmster
06-14-2005, 11:52 PM
we would have loved a sunroof in our van, but none on the lot had the option with it and we didn't want the dealer to go hunting around for one for fear we would not have been able to get all the discounts/rebates we got.

We came from a convertable, to a car with a sunroof, to vehicles having nothing now for 10 years. We miss the 'open' tops

AMD Rules
06-15-2005, 12:05 AM
I had a power roof on my Supra, and loved it. One of the key features was a retractable cover to provide shade if/when required. The glass slid back into the roof cavity and up popped a wind deflector automatically. A sun roof is one of the best options in a vehicle, but one not seen much of late. The overhead console 'features' in the new vans are so popular, including the sliding rail system, that a sunroof is not promoted or practical. Kiddies get to watch a movie instead...lol

Throw my vote into the 'great option to have' group. :thumb:

spartan0199
06-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I work for the company that makes the sunroof for the RS,CS,HB. DCX is investigating some different things for the next generation minivan/Pacifica sunroof.

mmahamm
06-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I work for the company that makes the sunroof for the RS,CS,HB. DCX is investigating some different things for the next generation minivan/Pacifica sunroof.

'scuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "RS,CS,HB?"

Ian
06-15-2005, 06:23 PM
'scuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "RS,CS,HB?"

It's the platform the car is built on, but as nothing to do with assembly plant.

RS: Minivans 2001+
CS: Pacifica
HB: dont know?
JA: 95-00 Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
JR: 2001+ Stratus/Sebring
JX: Sebring convertible
LH: Intrepid, concorde, 300M, Eagle Vision and company
PL: Neon
LX: 300, magnum Charger

and the list goes on.

grimmster
06-15-2005, 11:10 PM
well, I did not read fully the first time.

OK sunroof wishlist. Yes definitly have the option for one, just a standard sunroof for the front seats (as wide as possible, and it continues to slide into the roof)

hmmm, sunroof for the other seats. I have not seen the quest overhead sunroofs (do they open or are they fixed? If they are fixed then I definitly would not care for them.) maybe pictures do not do it justice, but it looks ugly, but maybe it's really functional, then again I'm not sure I'd like a second 'normal' one there either. I know I DO NOT like those all glass panels like the Pontiac G6 has, those are bad.

Of course, if you go with two standard type sunroofs, then for a dvd option in the van you would have to have headrest monitors maybe?

AMD Rules
06-16-2005, 07:44 AM
I didn't read the first post very well either. I would rather not have a secondary sunroof. On Canadian vehicles the roof rack is a standard offering, and I use it. I would not want glass beneath the roof rack for fear of cracking it when loading items on the racks. Probably not practical to have both on the same vehicle. One or the other, and I favor the roof rack.

Revised: Throw my vote into the 'great option to have' a front row sunroof ONLY group. :thumb:

spartan0199
06-16-2005, 10:57 AM
The standard sunroof isn't going anywhere, the investigation would be to add another option that would be some sort of larger sunroof system (not like the Pontiac G6).

To clarify, HB is the Durango, sorry about that.

mmahamm
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
My brother has an 04 Subaru Legacy, with a second sunroof. I think it's kind of silly. It limits the utility of the roof rack. Since I buy used cars, I would probably buy one with it, if it was the best deal, but I wouldn't go looking for it.

I would rather have the roof metal and the sound insulation, than have another window that is not as quiet.

The Quest overhead windows are fixed, and I understand they have shades you can pull (but I'm not sure on that one).

Umer
06-17-2005, 12:22 AM
I would be happy with the standard sunroof, anything else is just another place where water can leak in and where plastic interior panels can rattle. i wish i had the standard one on my 2004 GC :jpshakehe

Hokiefyd
06-17-2005, 08:31 AM
...anything else is just another place where water can leak in and where plastic interior panels can rattle...

That's the way I generally feel about ANY sunroof. Most sunroofs, by design, are set "in" to the roof...meaning they have to have some sort of drain system, usually a series of tubes that run through two or more of the body pillars. Sometimes they get clogged, back up, etc. It's a mess when it happens (and it WILL happen). Whatever you do to the sunroof(s), make them OPTIONAL! :biggrin:

02AWDT&C
06-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Sunroofs are nice if they don't leak. I have had about 6 cars if I remember right with sunroofs. My Jeep has one. The Jeep I sold when I bought the van had one. I like to open it up (the shade) on dark days just to let more light in. Working at a dealership the service dept calls them a fish bowel. Sometimes they leak so bad the only fix is to let the car fill up and install gold fish. The biggest problem is the drain system stops up from dirt in the sunroof module (area the glass slides in). We used to use the inside cable of an old spedometer cable to roto route out the drain tubes the front are easy to clean but the back drains you would have to go from the bottom up and sometimes you could not clear them up. If you buy an aftermarket roof make sure it is made by a long time company and you will be able to get parts in the future. I had a motor go out on an add on sunroof after the car was 5 years old and found out that the company went out of business. All I got was sorry about your luck. I sealed the glass shut and never tried to open the roof again. On the strange side birds flying over see your sunroof and land and peck on the glass to get water. This is ok but they usually leave something behind when they leave.