2003 T & C Electrical Issues [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: 2003 T & C Electrical Issues

perplhayz
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Working on 2003 Chrysler Town and Country (3.8L) handicap van that is having electrical issues. The issues are:
- No accessories are working (blower motor, radio, power windows)
- Power seat does not work
- If the ign key is in the Off, On, or Start position the EATX Safety Shutdown relay continuously clicks.
- If the ign key is in the Acc position the Accessory relay continuously clicks
- If I turn on the park/headlights the Park Lamp relay continuously clicks but none of the lights illuminate, including the taillights. The dash lights do illuminate, though. There is also a delay in brightness, up or down, of the dash lights when the dimmer switch is rotated. With the ign key in either Off, On, Start, or Acc and the headlamp switch in either Park or headlight position and the dimmer switch turned to at least 2/3 brightness the relay does stop clicking.

What I have found so far is:
- When the EATX Safety Shutdown relay is clicking there is ~7.7V on pin 86 or relay socket
- When the Acc relay is clicking there is ~3.6V on pin 85 of relay socket
- New battery was tested and installed
- FCM was replaced
- Checked for corrosion under IPM. There was minimal corrosion on a couple pins of one connector, cleaned and greased all connectors
- Checked for corrosion within the wire harness under battery tray, none found

Seems almost like a grounding issue but couldn't see any ground terminals under the dash. Can someone point me to where I may find it/them? Cleaned the two I could find in the engine compartment; one under battery and one under the coolant overflow container. Also, it seems as though this was an issue with previous owner/s as there a numerous splices and such in the same places I've been looking.

Any ideas before the owner starts spilling money into BCM or PCM etc.

RIP
11-02-2011, 03:47 PM
There is a ground stud at the base of the driver's side B pillar one contributor discovered: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/22210-2005-G-C-van-Major-Power-Loss-Of-Many-Electrical-Components

Other than that diassemble the IPM and inspect for corrosion on the internal circuit board. It's had a history. Take a close look at the battery cables. They are known to corrode internally. Does a jump start help at all? Clicking relays are a symptom of low power as you have proven. I'm thinking this is something more than a BCM/PCM problem.

RIP
11-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Are you seeing a full 12vdc at the IPM power connection from the battery?

perplhayz
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Yep, 12vdc at the IPM. I removed, disassembled, inspected, cleaned (very minimal corrosion), and re-assembled the IPM. I forgot to mention that the vehicle actually starts and runs great for extended periods however the relays still constantly click while the van is running. When I get home tonight I will look for the ground stud in the location you suggested.
Thanks

atoman
11-02-2011, 09:50 PM
here you go..

GROUND NUMBER..........LOCATION
G100 ...........................Body Ground Near Powertrain Control Module
G101 ...........................Above Starter
G102 ...........................Left Headlamp Area
G103 ...........................Above Starter
G200 ...........................Left Side of Instrument Panel
G201 ...........................Right Side of Instrument Panel
G202 ...........................Near Radio
G300 ...........................Left B Pillar
G301 ...........................Right B Pillar
G302 ...........................Left Rear Quarter
G400............................ Liftgate Ground

perplhayz
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the information RIP. The problem was the ground G300 stud was rusted to the point the stud weld broke off the floor. Cleaned and re-attached the ground connector to the body and all is working as it should.

Thanks to Atoman for the additional ground locations. That came in handy to make sure all the other grounds are solid.

RIP
11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting your fix. That ground stud appears to be a problem area to keep in mind.

A little late now but did you notice how many wires were on that stud? Didn't happen to notice the color codes?

atoman
11-05-2011, 01:50 PM
there's probably close to a dozen wires in two pressed 'bundles' that click together to form the grounding contact on G300

RIP
11-05-2011, 02:28 PM
there's probably close to a dozen wires in two pressed 'bundles' that click together to form the grounding contact on G300

Yup figured that was the case. Does the book state which systems are grounded at any particular ground stud?

atoman
11-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Does the book state which systems are grounded at any particular ground stud?

AFAIK, only via wiring diagrams.. (haven't seen a listing)