What oil filter does everyone use? 2007 Chrysler T&C LX 3.3 [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: What oil filter does everyone use? 2007 Chrysler T&C LX 3.3

alm99
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I am about to change the oil in my van and found that the oil filter that is on the van currently is an entirely different size than the one I bought based off the book recommendation at Autozone.

The book recommended the same oil filter that my current Saturn SL1 sedan uses, while the filter that is on the van currently is what I assume to be a Mopar filter as it has stamped on the side of it "Jeep." I checked all recommendations for oil filter size at Autozone and they are all the same size as the Bosch filter.

Is this normal? The Bosch filter is a dwarf compared to the filter that will come off the van.

Jeepman
06-15-2011, 05:33 PM
I am about to change the oil in my van and found that the oil filter that is on the van currently is an entirely different size than the one I bought based off the book recommendation at Autozone.

The book recommended the same oil filter that my current Saturn SL1 sedan uses, while the filter that is on the van currently is what I assume to be a Mopar filter as it has stamped on the side of it "Jeep." I checked all recommendations for oil filter size at Autozone and they are all the same size as the Bosch filter.

Is this normal? The Bosch filter is a dwarf compared to the filter that will come off the van.

The filter specified is the smaller filter equal to a Fram 3614.
Here's a recent Thread containing equivalent "fits" that work: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/21084-Purolator-vs.-Valvoline-Oil-Filter-Size-(Dial-Up-Beware-Pics-Inside)
I use the 5.5" long Mopar, the one that Mopar sells for Fords and which has similar dimensions to the Motorcraft FL-1A. I get them for around $2.50 (wholesale) plus tax.

n8ech
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM
ALM:

I like to use the oem Mopar filter ending in 090 when I can. Wally Mart wells them for $5.25 in Oxford, Ohio where I live.

The Mobil 1 M204 is a good filter also but pricey at $12. I also have used the Fram Tough Guard TG 16 filters which Auto Zone has for $7 each.
The basic orange Fram filters are not recommended by many folks, but again I have yet to hear of someone who suffered an ill experience as long as they change the oil and filter at proper intervals.

As long as you use a brand name and a good quality oil, you should have no issues.

Don

alm99
06-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It just seems odd since the mating surface between the engine and the top of the filter are radically different. The filter is a dwarf compared to the mating surface on the van.

gsmagnum
06-16-2011, 06:27 AM
I have been using the Mopar filter from Walmart. It is the same filter the dealer uses judging by what I took off.
I would suggest you take that filter back and get one that is the right size. It sounds like the store goofed something up.

Jeepman
06-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It just seems odd since the mating surface between the engine and the top of the filter are radically different. The filter is a dwarf compared to the mating surface on the van.

The mating surfaces can't be radically different unless it's the wrong filter. They mate at the gasket, not the outside steel ring.
What are the dimensions of the new "small" filter? The outside diameter of the gasket should be 2 7/8", inside diameter 2 3/8" or very, very close to those measurements, based on a "large" filter, I just now measured and use on my vehicles.
My 2007 GC, which I just bought two weeks ago, has the "small" filter on it. That would be equivalent to the Fram PH 3614 of Fram TG 3614.
Fram PH 16 or Fram TG 16 will also fit your vehicle (next filter size up) as will the Fram PH 8A or Fram TG 8A (largest available).

x99j
06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
i know around me the quick lubes are reducing their inventory and putting the smaller filters on (ph-3614 equal) all 3.3L's and 3.8l's, even though for most years of the 3.3/3.8l calls for the ph-16 equal. i don't think it is going to hurt anything since the threads are the same etc... but i do my own changes so i can be certain that the proper filter is used. also some where around 07ish ph3614 equal is the filter used on the 3.3/3.8L, i don't know why corporate made the change? probably less land fill usage per the epa. mike

Jeepman
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
i know around me the quick lubes are reducing their inventory and putting the smaller filters on (ph-3614 equal) all 3.3L's and 3.8l's, even though for most years of the 3.3/3.8l calls for the ph-16 equal. i don't think it is going to hurt anything since the threads are the same etc... but i do my own changes so i can be certain that the proper filter is used. also some where around 07ish ph3614 equal is the filter used on the 3.3/3.8L, i don't know why corporate made the change? probably less land fill usage per the epa. mike

The 2007 calls for the smaller filter as you say. I will be putting the "oversize" Fram PH/TG 16 size on when I change the oil next time. From looking at the Fram site, that change to the smaller filter actually occurred in 2007, although the small filter has been around for a long time and was specified for the 4 cylinder engine, among others.
For 2008, the 3.3/3.8 has the small filter (PH/TG 3614 size) shown and the 4.0 has the intermediate filter (PH/TG 16 size) shown.
For 2009, the 3.3/3.8 remain the same, but the 4.0 has the PH/TG 10060 size shown, which is a small or medium size filter, I'm thinking, with metric threads.
For 2010, the 3.3/3.8 remain the same, but the 4.0 has two filters shown, PH/TG 10060 size and the PH/TG 3614 size with a note saying "models with standard filter adapter having 3/4-16" threads". Perhaps that was if an oil cooler was installed, don't really know.
There's also a Fram PH/TG 2 oil filter out there, with metric threads, which will apparently fit where metric threads are specified.
Confusing or what? :)

x99j
06-16-2011, 01:31 PM
ph2 is the bigger version of ph10060.

andyg
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
PH16 fram for me. Hundreds of frams have ran through my house with not one issue. For a 3-5000 mile oil change (I run 5000) the stock size or mildly bigger size is more than enough. If you are running 10k miles, you may want more filter media.

V8MANual
06-17-2011, 06:26 AM
I use the largest TG8A on my T&C and my 4.7 Dakota; change at 5k miles w/Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20.

Jeepman
06-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I use the largest TG8A on my T&C and my 4.7 Dakota; change at 5k miles w/Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20.

I have used several Fram TG8A oil filters over the years. That's a very efficient filter for removing dirt (99% for particle size greater than 20 microns per ISO 4548-12)

Alex
06-18-2011, 08:39 PM
NAPA/WIX 51515 or FL1A on my 3.3 2003

currently 225,000 Km

belvedere
06-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I am a believer in Wix/NAPA Gold. Either the standard 51085 or larger 51515 will work fine.

Spideyjected
06-19-2011, 08:40 AM
There's a lot of Fram usage on this site. I have heard so many refuse to use them, although I've never had an issue. I have just gotten into the habit of using the MOPAR filter on the Caravans, and whatever is on sale on my Sierra "which has 212,000 on it".

belvedere
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Mopar has used different suppliers over the years, including Fram. From what I understand, their current filters are a re-badged Purolator classic. Certainly nothing wrong with using Mopar filters, but there's nothing special about them, and you probably pay more than just buying the Purolator classic to start with.

Jeepman
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Mopar has used different suppliers over the years, including Fram. From what I understand, their current filters are a re-badged Purolator classic. Certainly nothing wrong with using Mopar filters, but there's nothing special about them, and you probably pay more than just buying the Purolator classic to start with.

Here's what Mopar says its oil filter looks like: http://www.mopar.ca/en/accessories/thedirtonfilters.php

Based on the leaf type retainer spring, I would say it's a Purolator which seems to be what is used in the US for the vans, and is housed in a black container. I don't believe the silicone (orange) anti drainback valve though, more likely to be black.
The Mopars I buy for my vehicles are made by Wix (in Canada) and have a coil retainer spring, a nitrile (black) anti drainback valve, all housed in a white container. They cost around $5.00 retail and $2.50 wholesale. I got them for $2.70 plus tax last time I purchased.