Sliding doors knocking noise [Archive] - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

: Sliding doors knocking noise

sat22
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
My 2010 T&C Limited sliding doors make a knocking noise when you smoothly decelerate or hit the brake. Well folks, this is an old issue with the T&C 5th generation as I experienced it with my 2008 T&C Touring but I bought it used with 20,000km so I figured I was just unlucky as most of us have discussed it when the 5th generation came. Solutions ranged from doors re-adjustements to lubing the plates, etc. They certainly reduced the door noise on my 2008 by 80% but I had to take it a couple of times.

I wasn't expecting the same issue on new 2010 T&C Limited with just under 9,000 km. The knocking noise comes from the sliding doors, especially when u apply the brake smoothly, approaching a red light. So I decided to take it to the dealer and of course they couldn't replicate the problem (classic) and then they said that the noise was normal. Of course I disagreed and the body shop manager agreed with me. There is nothing normal about this. So I'll take it in next week but he did warn me that they may not be able to get rid of that noise.

Here is the thing: I'm quite happy overall with my van. Have been a long time T&C fan and this is probably a small issue, certainly not as bad an engine issue/failure and/or an electrical problem. BUT you would't expect this kind of noise on a luxury van with a MSRP near $50K ! It's very disappointing that Chrysler doesn't improve these nagging interior nioise, squeek and/or knocking doors ! It's too bad because the design is really good on these van but it's poor craftsmanship. Anyway, I had to get it out my chest!
You wouldn't expect this on a luxury van.

Has anyone experienced it on 2010 models ? It's my understanding that the door hinges were re-designed on 2009 and 2010 models precisely to address this door knocking issue. Please share your experience including solutions. Tx

andyg
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I would try to adjust the striker in a little more to see if it holds the door more sungly to the body and stop the noise. My sliding doors were making lots of noise (given after 10 years, not new) and tightening up the strikers helped immensely.

T&CFan
11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
This has not been an issue on our '10 T&C Limited with 9350 miles (knock on wood!).

jeepgrady
11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I had the knock on my '08. Lubing the stryuker fixed it. Did you try lubing it?

sat22
11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I had the knock on my '08. Lubing the stryuker fixed it. Did you try lubing it?

No i haven't tried it. What did you lube it with ?

jeepgrady
11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
white lithium greas

stbear007
12-03-2010, 02:05 AM
krytox grease lasts longer but I am going to do what I did to my 4 door jeep (same issue) wrap a little masking tape around striker and see what happens. Worked for the jeep for 3 years...lol.

mikekochanski
12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
krytox grease lasts longer but I am going to do what I did to my 4 door jeep (same issue) wrap a little masking tape around striker and see what happens. Worked for the jeep for 3 years...lol.

How can I do this myself. Can you post a picture and show me the strikers you are talking about. Ours knocks a little.

sat22
12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
How can I do this myself. Can you post a picture and show me the strikers you are talking about. Ours knocks a little.

yeah I'd like to see a picture as well. It blows my mind how Chrysler can't fix these noise problems, even on their newest vans !!!!

monza
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Preventative maintenance might avoid this "problem" from happening. From the owner's manual:

"Locks and all body pivot points, including such items as
seat tracks, doors, liftgate, sliding doors and hood hinges,
should be lubricated periodically to assure quiet, easy
operation and to protect against rust and wear."

It would be handy if they would provide pictures of all of those points but I haven't seen such a thing. I just find any place where metal moves against most anything and spray it with white lithium grease.

quadman_ri
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I have the same problem with my 09 grand caravan!

stbear007
12-24-2010, 04:32 AM

Well it is that latch that is on the 'B' post on an angle sticking out (behind drivers/pass door) at the tips or where the actual latch connects. Hope this helps. As I can take picts eventually when I get the chance.

FrankBullitt
12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
I have two noises that are mildly annoying- a squeak in the drivers slider that is only obvious when the radio is completely off and no fan is running, and an intermittent clunk in front firewall area that has no relation to acceleration or deceleration. They are mildly annoying, but it's been to cold to mess with myself, and we've been too busy to leave at the dealer. Only visit was a quick oil change at dealer.

jeepgrady
01-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Frank- I also have that firewall clunk. Have had it for several years. I posted on this forum about it several times without any feedback. What year vehicle is yours? Mine is an '08. Had it to several dealers. Of course as usual they can't find anything wrong.

It seems to only occur when going over certain bumps, not all.

T&CFan
01-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I had an old Dodge that had a clunk in the firewall. Traced it to one of the heater hoses where it connected in the firewall. The rubber around the pipe had fallen out and the pipe was just banging around. Wasn't worth time or money to fix. Since I knew what it was, I just learned to live with it...

coloradogps
01-09-2011, 11:21 AM
My 2010 sliding doors knock also.

Use 3M 4-Way Spray or WD-40 at all the latch contact areas, 4 per door.

It will last around 8 - 12 months.

FrankBullitt
01-11-2011, 04:16 AM
jeepgrady-

Sorry- I just saw your question, as I've been a self-imposed internet ban so I could get some home improvement projects wrapped up.

My van is a 2010. I bought our T&C in October and have about 4500 miles on it. I have not noticed the noise in a week or so. It's weird, because it doesn't seem to be a typical powertrain noise. It happens seemingly without pattern. It happens under gentle acceleration, on smooth roads. It does not seem to happen under hard braking, or at initial throttle, or at an upshift.

I will try the lube on the strikers, but I'll skip the white grease. Maybe something more dry, so it doesn't end up on something he kids or I are dragging in and out of van.

jeepgrady
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Have you had any success in finding the firewall clunk?

FrankBullitt
01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I have not heard the firewall clunk at all this week. And the door squeak is gone since I rubbed a rag soaked with Super Lube (like WD 40 w/ Teflon) on the strikers. If I hear it again and/or find it I'll post accordingly. Watch- I'll hear it tomorrow, or the boss will say she heard it.

Neromancer
02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
jeepgrady-

Sorry- I just saw your question, as I've been a self-imposed internet ban so I could get some home improvement projects wrapped up.

My van is a 2010. I bought our T&C in October and have about 4500 miles on it. I have not noticed the noise in a week or so. It's weird, because it doesn't seem to be a typical powertrain noise. It happens seemingly without pattern. It happens under gentle acceleration, on smooth roads. It does not seem to happen under hard braking, or at initial throttle, or at an upshift.

I will try the lube on the strikers, but I'll skip the white grease. Maybe something more dry, so it doesn't end up on something he kids or I are dragging in and out of van.

I too have a similar rattle. It is occasional it will show up for a day or two and then leave. It's comming from the driver side sliding door. It happens when crusing over un-eaven pavement or hitting pot holes.

FrankBullitt
02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I have not heard it in a while, but the boss says she heard it this week. I do hear the squeak again, though. I'm taking it in for an oil change, so I'll have them look at that again. I have a feeling the firewall noise will be a perpetual mystery. We had a cowl noise in our 2001 Odyssey that took 4 years to find, and then it was only because my wife told the female service writer that the noise was going to cause a divorce.

jeepgrady
02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
While at my dealer I again mentioned the firewall pop. Since they are in an area where there aren't any dips in the road, of course the response was that they could not replicate the noise. Since my warranty is up in two months I wanted my complaint documented. This way if the problem gets worse it should be covered. I too think that it is something we will have to live with. While it's annoying, I can see them ripping the whole dash out and screwing something else up.

andyg
02-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I thought someone mentioned here a few days ago that the 5th gen firewall noise was due to an improper weld on the firewall. They had Chrysler buy their van back instead of having the dealer rip it apart and fix it.

jeepgrady
02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
He did mention the improper weld, but going through his past posts several years ago he was getting various usless responses from the dealer. The buyback was for many problems he had with the vehicle.

FrankBullitt
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
When they finally traced the noise in my 2001 Odyssey, it was a weld issue, as I recall, in the cowl at the top of the firewall. The solution, as I remember was to use a pry bar and separate two pieces of sheet metal. No kidding.

It was far more regular, and more irritating than the noise in the T&C. It happened every morning when cold, or when sitting for a while. The dealer didn't find it until we left it for a couple days with them.

jeepgrady
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Can anyone with access to the TSB database see if there is one for this so-called cowl popping sound?

IssaquahWA1979
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
There is no TSB for it unfortunalty I already looked for you. You were correct my buyback was for several issues unfortunatly most of which you are disucssing...

jeepgrady
02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you. I'll just turn the radio louder, unless it gets worse.

sat22
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Thank you. I'll just turn the radio louder, unless it gets worse.

Well My 2010 T&C Ltd has $14,000 kms and the knocking is getting a little bit worse IMO. This is the only issue I have with this van otherwise I'm happy with it.
I'm sure Chrysler is aware of this issue cause the 2011 T&C have a new molded foam sealers at the sliding doors. I wonder if this can be added on the 5th generation as well ?

jeepgrady
02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
My problem isn't the door. It's the dash area.